Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » Belize City man found murdered in the cab of a truck
Mar 11, 2014

Belize City man found murdered in the cab of a truck

Arthur Connor

The long weekend was filled with tragedy but no murders. Unfortunately, the inadvertent moratorium on murders did not last, and just after eight this morning Police Detectives from Precinct Two were opening a case file on a body found off the Western Highway in the foam factory compound. While the investigation is in its early stages, the body has been identified as that of Belize City mechanic Arthur Connor, who resided in the Lake Independence area. Connor’s wife and step-children are in shock and grieving the loss of their loved one, who was last seen alive as he left home Monday night. Mike Rudon has been following the story, from the discovery of the body to news that by midday Police already have two persons detained.


Mike Rudon, Reporting

In May, forty-seven year old Arthur Connor planned to take his wife Rose on a road trip to celebrate the couple’s fourteenth anniversary. But they won’t be celebrating this anniversary, or any other. At eight-twenty this morning, Police acted on an anonymous tip to their Control Communications Center and searched this abandoned truck, used as living quarters by the security guard from the foam factory. Connor’s bloody body was inside.


Cpl. Jorge Lemus, Admin Officer, Precinct Two

Jorge Lemus

“They observed the motionless body of a dark-complexioned male person lying face upwards in a pool of blood. They observed him with bodily injuries to the upper body and the face area.”


Rose Connor, Wife of Deceased

“This morning I was at work and my daughter called me and told me she had some news for me…to let me come home now. So I asked her for what, and she said just come home mommy. So I told my boss that I had to come home…my daughter-in-law came to pick me up and she told me Miss Rose they found Mr. Arthur dead so I asked where and she said on the road and I asked what happened to him and she said it looked like they beat him to death…so I just came home and the Police told me that I needed to go to the morgue and identify him so I went to the morgue and my husband whole head was ‘buss up’…his whole face, everything.”


Police found a slab of concrete inside the truck. They believe that was the murder weapon, used to bash him in the head and face. Police believe that Connor and at least one other person were drinking inside the van when something went wrong.


Cpl. Jorge Lemus

“Initial investigations also reveal that he was involved in an altercation inside the said van with a dark-complexioned male person who purportedly inflicted the said injuries to him.”


Rose Connor

Rose Connor

“I don’t know why they did it to him because he doesn’t trouble anybody. He takes his drinks but he doesn’t trouble anybody. So I don’t know why they did it to him, and I would want to ask the person why they did it, why they did it…why they did it.”


Connor’s violent death was perhaps foretold. On Sunday night he was attacked on the highway near the foam factory and hit in the back of his head.


Rose Connor

“Sunday night he called me and told me that somebody hit him on his head back going to his brother’s house or coming from his brother’s house right where they found him. He told me that the Police were coming at the same time and he called the Police but I don’t know if they found the children. I asked him who did it and he said it was some young boys and he caught one of their voices but it looks like he didn’t go back to the station yesterday or go to the doctor.”


Connors came home Sunday night bleeding from a wound to the back of his head, but his step-daughters say he left home after nine Monday night saying he was going to his brother’s home on Faber’s Road. He was drinking, and that was the last time they saw him alive.


Rose Connor

“Yesterday morning we talked on the phone and he told me that he was at his dad’s house and I told him to go home to sleep because I could already hear that he was drinking so I told him to go home to sleep. He said ‘I gwein home right now baby but anyway I love you alright.’ I told him I love you too baby please go home to sleep. That was the last of it because I tried to get his phone last night because we usually call each other at night to say goodnight and I tried to get his phone and I couldn’t get it.”


Police have detained two men. One of them, the family says, was taken as a son by Connor and raised as one of his own. Mike Rudon for News Five.


Police have not released the names of the men in custody pending further investigation.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login