Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Three year old dies from burns in house fire
Jan 14, 2008

Three year old dies from burns in house fire

Story PictureA toddler died this afternoon after he received burns to fifty percent of his body. Thirty year-old Jaime Rivero Senior told police that on Sunday afternoon he was inside the bedroom of his home at mile four and a half on the Northern Highway while his son, Jaime Junior was outside in a bathroom corridor playing with a five year old friend. It appeared that the children got hold of some matches and set a mattress afire. Jaime Junior suffered burns to his arms, legs and stomach. News Five visited the scene and spoke to one of Rivero’s neighbours. Santos Gomes said he helped to extinguish the blaze but couldn’t save the child.

Santos Gomez, Neighbour Who Helped Fight Fire
“I … inside in this room. Jaime, the father, he tell me Santos my baby inside this room. Okay, he and me—I come this side but the fire is big and the plywood and the bed, sponge – fire. Okay the man put one punch and the—he give the baby but the baby no move, no talk, nothing. ”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login