Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fabers Road home gutted in blaze
Nov 26, 2009

Fabers Road home gutted in blaze

Story PictureWhile things heat up at Smart, a fire this afternoon gutted a two storey wooden home in the Fabers Road Area in Belize City belonging to Sheddrack Banner and Clarine Budna. The couple was not at home when the fire broke; it engulfed the house quickly and took some twenty minutes to completely gut the building and its contents. News Five’s Duane Moody was at the scene of the blaze and has this report.

Duane Moody, Reporting
The two storey wooden structure they called home for the past twenty years was completely destroyed. Budna was in Punta Gorda for the funeral of James Williams and Banner had just left to purchase groceries when he was told about the fire. Everything went up in flames except for the clothes he had on his back.

Duane Moody
“Were you at home when the fire started?”

Sheddrack Banner, Fire Victim
“No I mi gone buy chicken and thing fi cook.”

Duane Moody
“What could have started the fire?”

Sheddrack Banner
“I no know. I lock up my house and I gone buy; that’s all and when I come back I si di crowd and dehn seh yoh house di ketch fire. Den I run come in yah.”

Monica Bodden, Love FM
“Nothing was left on inside?”

Sheddrack Banner
“Nothing, nothing, nothing. The tank cut off, everything cut off; only the kitchen light mi deh on. Everything cut off.”

Duane Moody
“Everything was lost?”

Sheddrack Banner
“Everything, everything this dah all weh I lef pan mi; one thing, one thing.”

The houses in the area are in close proximity allowing the inferno to spread to the home of Yvonne Moore.

Yvonne Moore, House Damaged by Fire
“I mi deh dah my business, but weh happen somebody call me and tell me my house was on fire. So I run come and when I notice dah my neighbor. The sad part is that di lady gone dah P.G. for a funeral and he can’t handle it. I know inside, there water damage due to weh they mi expect it deh eena the ceiling so dehn spray water in deh and di side by my neighbor.”

Duane Moody
“Do you feel that the reason why the fire spread so quickly was because the houses are so close together?”

Yvonne Moore
“Could be but it could ah mi be worst so ih look like dehn responded very quick.”

Fortunately for Moore the fire was contained and her house sustained water damages. While Budna mourns the loss of a life, Banner is left to search for remnants of a lost home. Duane Moody, reporting for News Five.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login