Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fire leaves two persons homeless
Dec 7, 2009

Fire leaves two persons homeless

Story PictureAn early morning blaze left two persons without a roof over their heads after the wooden bungalow structure they called home was destroyed. The fire broke sometime around six-thirty this morning and it is believed it started from the living room of the small house. The two tenants, Cedric Baptist and Brian McKenzie, were not at home. Firefighters responded and contained the blaze but by then its contents had been reduced to ashes. Training Officer of the National Fire Service, Kenneth Mortis says that the blaze started from a lit candle inside the house.

Kenneth Mortis, Training Officer, Nat’l Fire Service
“Sometime this morning after six, between six-thirty and minutes to seven more or less, we received a call of a fire at the corner of Vernon and Mopan Streets. When we dispatched and arrived, we observed a wooden bungalow structure engulfed in flames. We managed to bring the fire under control within minutes after arrival. After that we conducted an investigation. We learned that the home was owned by a Mister Davis and occupied by two other persons. Mister Davis reported that he was in the bathroom having a shower when he was alerted of the building on fire. We also learned that the house is in the same yard as that of the occupants and for reasons unknown, they were not at home this morning when the fire started. We believe that the fire started from the front which housed the living from portion of the building.”

The home located at the corner of Vernon and Mopan Streets in Belize City was owned by Cerell Davis, and valued at twelve thousand dollars.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login