Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Georgeville fire injures minors
Nov 3, 2009

Georgeville fire injures minors

Story PictureOn Monday’s newscast we reported of a traffic accident involving a sixteen year old who was hit and ended between the rear tires of a heavy duty ten wheeler truck in Georgeville. Tonight, two minors—a fourteen year old and five month old baby—are hospitalized at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital following a fire that occurred around nine p.m. on Monday night in the same area. Both minors were pulled out of the blaze by their older siblings, but the family lost their belongings. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

Duane Moody, Reporting
The fire broke shortly before nine p.m. in the living quarters detached from the house which belonged to Audrey Martinez. Two of her ten children—fourteen year old Bridget and five month old Alynna—were asleep when the fire broke. Both received burns to the face, shoulders and arms. An emotional Audrey says that she is in shock.

Audrey Martinez, Mother of Burnt Victims
“We mi just done drink tea, my oldest son and di second son deh inside di play Nintendo and my daughter and my baby and di next lee gial deh pan di bed, di sleep. I wake my daughter out ah fi she areas fi come and sleep with di baby fi a lee while because I mi gwein fi talk to mi auntie about another family problem. My cousin come and tell me dat di house deh pan fire, when we run cross, di family and di neighbors deh help out di fire. I holla about the babies but my daughter show me that ih get burn. When I si di burn I neva know dat dah mi wahn serious burn. We gone dah di chairman. Di chairman ker we dah hospital and when we get there in di light we see di situation ah di burn.”

Duane Moody
“What type of burns did the children get?”

Audrey Martinez
“Badly burn, dehn whole face get burn and dehn shoulder and dehn two hands get burn.”

It was Audrey’s older children that rescued the minors from the inferno. Police and firefighters brought the blaze under control that was reportedly started by faulty electrical wires. Both Bridget and baby Alynna area in stable condition at the K.H.M.H. Duane Moody, reporting for News Five.

If anyone would like to assist the Martinez family, call Audrey Martinez at 620-1609.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login