Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Environment, People & Places » Fire Guts Taylor’s Alley Industrial Zone
Mar 7, 2023

Fire Guts Taylor’s Alley Industrial Zone

On Saturday evening, a fire broke out inside the upper flat of a two-storey wooden structure on Taylor’s Alley. Brent Garoy and his family of five resided in the upper flat, and on the lower floor is the business space for the Taylor’s Alley Industry Zone. The fire consumed the little Garoy had, including the funds received for the production of Ruta Maya trophies. All household items were destroyed, as well as some of the equipment for the industrial zone business. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.


Duane Moody, Reporting

Over thirty individuals are employed at the Taylor’s Alley Industrial Zone. They’re engaged in mechanic work and carpentry. But just after four p.m. on Saturday, a fire broke out in the upstairs of the wooden structure, which was home to Brent Garoy and his family of five.


Voice of: Brent Garoy, Fire Victim

“Like around five-thirty on Saturday evening, I was doing some woodwork, I was doing the trophy for La Ruta Maya and my gial mi di do hair downstairs and she holla fi me and tell me Brent, fire. When I gone upstairs, I see the whole house under flame already and the fan pan the ground. Fan mi done burn up and thing so I suggest that dah weh start the fire. By the time I coulda mi manage to haul out the fan, the house mi already di burn already. So I just try come out and exit from outta that place.”


Everything was destroyed in the blaze, including money collected for the Ruta Maya trophies, as well as all household items and clothing, not to mention some equipment from the business.


Voice of: Brent Garoy

“My kids dehn things destroy, my kids’ school things. Right now dehn can’t even go dah school. I noh have no clothes. I have to di wear two three piece ah clothes weh people give me right now. They respond in time to help the different structures weh mi deh around the area at the time being cause my house mi done gone already. So we just mi di try save my old lady spot from di get burn down too.”


Firefighters responded to the scene before the blaze could spread to neighbouring structures. Station Supervisor at the National Fire Service, Kenneth Mortis says that it was an electrical fire.


Kenneth Mortis

Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service

“Our investigators concluded that the fire started as a result of an electrical abuse primarily seeing that no legal connection was done to this establishment. It is believed that the outcome was as a result of a fan that gave way, overheated and caused the building to go up in flames. Kudos to the neighbourhood. I always make mention that fire-fighting isn’t a fire department initiative. The fellas in that neighbourhood played a crucial part in assisting the fire department in containing that fire to one half of that building versus the lower half sustaining minor water damage along with heat damage.”


Garoy is asking for assistance to recover from this disaster.


Voice of: Brent Garoy

“I just di wait for lee assistance weh I could get from people weh say dehn wah help me and give me a helping hand. This is a program weh I got yah same way weh we call industrial zone. We do woodwork, carving, mechanic, carwash everything and this make we step way behind. Right now I di knock up wah lee room fi make my family stay for the meanwhile cause we noh have nowhere to stay right now. Anything wah help we same way.”


Anyone who would like to assist can contact Garoy at 633-8570. Duane Moody for News Five.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed