Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Health, People & Places » Bella Vista Burn Victim Was Burning Garbage, Needs Urgent Assistance
Jan 9, 2023

Bella Vista Burn Victim Was Burning Garbage, Needs Urgent Assistance

A Bella Vista Village resident is tonight fighting for his life inside the K.H.M.H. after experiencing third degree burns to seventy-five percent of his body. On January fourth, Valeriano Pop was burning garbage outside of his home when the heap of waste suddenly exploded, causing severe injuries to his body. And, tonight his mother, Concepciona Choco, is making a public appeal to blood donors and those with the means to assist financially with the cost of taking Pop abroad for treatment. Choco is a resident of Silver Creek Village and has been by her son’s side since the incident. When we spoke with her outside of the K.H.M.H., Choco explained that Pop almost died after the incident, because a doctor at the Independence Polyclinic considered his burns as minor injuries and sent him home.


Concepciona Choco, Mother of Burn Victim

Concepciona Choco

“When I reach Independence Polyclinic my son was lying on a bed and the security doesn’t want anybody to enter because a person was already with him in the ward. The person was his uncle, Anthony Pop, a police officer was with him. So, I pushed myself and I am telling him I need to see my son. So the security said come see your son. So, when I reach my son was in the bed with several burns on the body. So, I asked my son how did this happen? He couldn’t answer me, he was crying. So, the doctor told me not to cry he is ok, he can go home. So, I asked him again, what he can go home. It is just minor burns. But, when I look at my son to me it is not minor burns. So, I asked him again, doctor will you send my son home? He said yes he can go home. While reaching Bella Vista my son faint weh, he drop, screaming. I asked him how you feel. Mom, I am done, all I tell you is to take care of yourself. I am gone. My son gone couldn’t talk anymore. I asked my son is how he got burn. The only thing he told me he was burning garbage. He said he was so happy that evening cleaning his house, washing his dishes and clothes. The last thing he was to do was burn his garbage. He told me he was inside while the garbage was burning. So, when he return back, he had fry chicken plate, soft drinks that he finished. So, that is the second time he went and throw it in the garbage, and that is when the explosion happened.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed