Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured, Law » Suspect Pleads Guilty in the Murder of Police Constable Marvin Locke
Aug 9, 2022

Suspect Pleads Guilty in the Murder of Police Constable Marvin Locke

Marcial Toledo

It has been five years since Police Constable Marvin Locke was viciously stabbed to death at the Raccoon Street Police Station. It was an unprecedented attack on an officer at his place of work. The suspect, fifty-two-year-old Marcial Toledo has remained on pretrial detention at the Belize Central Prison since the tragic incident in March, 2017. Today, when he appeared before the Supreme Court, the Honduran national accepted culpability for the brazen act by pleading guilty.  News Five’s Isani Cayetano reports.


Isani Cayetano, Reporting

The stabbing death of Police Constable Marvin Locke in March 2017, sent massive shock waves across the country.  It was, perhaps, the first time that an officer was killed in the line of duty at Precinct Three, here in Belize City.  The dreadful incident happened on a Sunday afternoon, just moments after P.C. Locke had completed a shift at the Raccoon Street Police Station.  He was having a brief conversation with Honduran national Marcial Toledo who, without warning, produced a knife and inflicted multiple stab wounds on the unsuspecting policeman.


A.C.P. Chester Williams

File: March 27th, 2017- A.C.P. Chester Williams, O.C., Eastern Division South

“Yesterday afternoon around three p.m. [or] thereabout, One Marcial Toledo visited the police station asking for P.C. Locke, as is customary; people come to the station and ask for the police.  P.C. Locke, who was out, came in. Him and the individual had a little talk inside the station and they eventually walked outside and upon getting outside, the individual took out a knife and attacked the police.”


When Locke’s fellow workers realized what was taking place, it was already too late. His injuries were terminal.


File: March 27th, 2017 – ACP Chester Williams

“When the individual came, Locke was not at the station.  Locke was out on patrol but he was just about to report off duty. So the officer at the front desk informed the individual that Locke was not in. The individual sat there for like fifteen minutes and waited for Locke to come in. When P.C. Locke came in the person spoke with Locke.  They spoke, like I said, casually for a little while, about five minutes or thereabout and then they went outside.  As they went outside it was a totally different situation, so the officers downstairs were not expecting that type of behavior from the individual.”



P.C. Locke

Locke was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he expired while receiving emergency medical treatment.  Toledo, on the other hand, was immediately taken into police custody and was subsequently charged with one count of murder.  As we would later come to find out, the motive behind the horrific murder was a woman.  Locke was fatally stabbed in a fit of rage and jealousy. That was over five years ago.  Today, in the chamber of Justice Susan Lamb, fifty-two-year-old Marcial Toledo pleaded guilty to murder.  The Supreme Court has since deferred sentencing to September, twenty-third.  Viewers would recall that at the time of the incident, responding officers were only able to intervene by using a cement block on Toledo.  In the wake of the tragedy, serious concerns were raised about the safety of officers on the compound since Precinct Three was an unarmed office. Isani Cayetano For News Five.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed