Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Economy, Environment » People with Marijuana Offenses Under $1,000 Can Ask ComPol to Expunge Records
Jul 8, 2022

People with Marijuana Offenses Under $1,000 Can Ask ComPol to Expunge Records

And one of the elements of landing employment often times requires a clean police record, so even a small infraction such as possession of marijuana could sometimes counts against one. But Musa explained that while some may not have known, from as far back as 2017, people who have criminal records for marijuana offenses under a thousand dollars can ask the Commissioner of Police to have their records expunged.


Kareem Musa

Kareem Musa, Minister of Home Affairs

“Anybody that has a conviction for a marijuana offense that is for under a thousand dollars, which most marijuana possession fines are under a thousand dollars, can apply to the Commissioner of Police and have their records expunged. A lot of people aren’t aware of that, so I think that is why the education campaign is so important, because that stigma that has been around and affecting a particular segment of our population for so long and wrongly so, has changed and people need to be aware of that. That change has happened since 2017.”


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed