Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Featured, People & Places, Politics » Montero and the Horse Racing Gate
Jan 6, 2021

Montero and the Horse Racing Gate

If that wasn’t bad enough, Montero has found himself in yet another outrage, this one involving a starting gate used in horse racing activities.  This morning, personnel from the Ministry of Infrastructure Development, accompanied by a team of police officers, retrieved the gate from a property which was said to be Montero’s farm.  In a letter written to Minister of Sports Kevin Bernard on December twenty-eighth, C.E.O. Robert Liam Stewart of Cayo Steel Works Limited, informed that the gate had been constructed and donated to the association or committee responsible for horse racing in the Cayo District and not for Montero’s personal use.   According to Minister Julius Espat, the extent of his ministry’s involvement in the matter was only to retrieve the gate from the property.

 

Julius Espat

Julius Espat, Minister of Infrastructure Development

“That issue is separate from the issue of [the Ministry of] Infrastructure and Development.  It is separate from the three letters that we wrote to the Commissioner of Police, to the Integrity Commission and to the Attorney General’s ministry, but it coincides to a certain extent.  Let me give you a little history.  The Horse Racing Association contacted us at the Ministry of Infrastructure to be able to assist them in maintaining a field in the Cayo District, a horse racing field.  We sent out our supervisors to analyze the work and in doing so they informed us of a gate… a starting gate.  And so we started to find out who owns the starting gate.  We were in contact with the Ministry of Youth, the honorable member from Orange Walk East, and they asked us to be able to find out a little bit more.  We found the gentleman that built the gate and he wrote us a letter, well he didn’t write to us, he wrote to the Minister of Youth a letter explaining to him that the gate was a donation to the Horse Racing Association and the minister requested of us if we could assist him with equipment to be able to retrieve the gate.  The minister also contacted the Commissioner of Police; the Commissioner of Police was in communication with us.  It was a joint effort, we took our equipment and the police escorted us and the equipment was retrieved this morning.”

 

In responding to the allegations being made against him, Montero issued a letter earlier today in which he refuted claims that he had the gate and used it privately.  Montero also says that while in fact he did approach Cayo Steel Works for construction of the gate, it was never donated to the National Sports Council or any of its subcommittees.  Montero says that the entire situation is the result of gross negligence on the part of a vindictive government.  A letter subsequently sent out by Montero’s attorney indicates that he was never in possession of the gate, nor was the gate itself retrieved from Montero’s property.  In fact, the letter reiterated what Montero stated previously, that the starting gate was placed on private property not owned by Montero, for safe storage by the Santa Elena Horse Race Committee.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed