Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Agriculture, Featured » An Estimated 1K Cane Farmers Affected by Inclement Weather
Jan 5, 2021

An Estimated 1K Cane Farmers Affected by Inclement Weather

According to Osorio, during the first few days of the crop, minimal amounts of cane deliveries were made.  He says that roughly eight thousand tons of cane have been burnt and will be delivered to the factory.  Milling resumed at four o’clock and deliveries should be received up to two o’clock on Wednesday afternoon.  From there, the liquidation of the boiling house will occur.  It is expected that another meeting with industry stakeholders will take place on Thursday to determine the way forward.


On the Phone:  Marcos Osorio, Chairman, S.I.C.B.

“All morning in the first five days of the crop through the early hours of the morning up to midday we were seeing almost no supply of cane going to the mill. So as a result we were meeting to make decisions in terms to ensure that we have enough cane for the mill to keep grinding because if there is not cane then the mill has to stop. So yesterday the decision was we will do our best, farmers will do their best to get all the cane out. The mill will do tier part in terms of ensuring to receive all the cane, mill it and then we also decided given the field conditions and the amount of rains that we have over the last fort eight hours that it is necessary to suspend burning which will result also in a suspension of the harvest and delivery system. The suspension of burning of new cane was decided as of yesterday, no more burning from yesterday. So on Thursday we estimate, Wednesday night or maybe in the early hours of Thursday the mill will have a complete shutdown after they have processed all the cane that is delivered. On Thursday evening we will at three o ‘clock when we meet we will decide if we are restarting on Friday or Saturday whatever the decision be. That will tell us how many days of complete stock we will have. At the moment we don’t have that decided as yet. It could be as of yesterday of no morning burning all the way to Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed