Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Couple Homeless after Mid-afternoon Fire Gutted House on Fabers Road
Oct 22, 2020

Couple Homeless after Mid-afternoon Fire Gutted House on Fabers Road

In the height of nominations on Wednesday, a fire swept through a Belize City house, rendering the Miles Family of Fabers Road homeless.  The fire started in the lower flat of the two-storey building and spread to the upper flat where Lennox Miles and Janet Wade reside. Fire fighters believe that it was in fact a case of arson. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

The Miles family home on Fabers Road in Belize City was gutted by flames on Wednesday afternoon. This two-storey wooden house was home for Lennox Miles and Janet Wade, who lived in the upper flat of the structure.

 

Brenda Wade

Brenda Wade, Fire Victim

“Like one o’clock, we left out fi gone up the road gone buy. We drop off what we buy and we di wait fi di bus fi go back outta town fi go and continue buy. And we sit down deh soh and mussi like forty-five minutes; I tell my ma weh mi di sit down with me, dah weh dah smoke di come from. She say, yo better go look dah back; mine dah noh yo house. So when I walk pan the sidewalk, I see wah smoke, but wah lee lee smoke, nothing much. But when I continue walk, the whole back done burn like ih mussi mi di burn from inside. When we come and open di door, the window dehn start to bruk up and thing.”

 

Lennox Miles

Lennox Miles, Fire Victim

“It was kinda surprising when my sistren come by my worksite and I hear she di holler and holler so I say something must kinda bad. So when I come outside, she deh ina wah taxi di wait for me. So I just jump down and come and she say the house ketch fire, everything burn up. So when I get here, fire pump deh yah still di out the fire, but everything done gone…nothing noh save.”

 

By the time members of the National Fire Service were called to the scene, the structure had already been gutted and nothing could have been saved. Fire-fighters went on to extinguish the blaze.

 

Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service

“We were dispatched and on arrival we observed what was a two-storey wooden, mixed with cement structure was gutted, meaning that the fire was already exiting the upper and lower front and middle of that structure. We eventually managed to extinguish the fire.”

 

The fire started in the lower flat of the structure, which Wade and Miles says was used mostly as storage and did not have electricity. Nothing was left on in the upper flat. The evidence at the scene would also suggest that fire started from this mattress which is elevated off the floor, so it is believed that the fire was deliberately set.

 

Brenda Wade

“We just open the door; we gone buy piece of foam and we bring the foam and say make wi go and finish buy the cloth man since we done get the foam. And we just put the foam in there and we haul the door and we gone right back out. We noh even stay five minutes.”

 

Kenneth Mortis

Kenneth Mortis

“We know that the fire started from the lower portion of the building; you could almost say literally in the middle. There was a mattress where the fire originated from and it moved its way up into the flooring and it eventually caught the upper portion of the building on fire. Now, Miss Wade is saying that that particular area where the fire started from, nobody occupies that portion of the building. However, we are yet to conclusively understand how could a fire start in a portion of the building that you would say is unoccupied. It has no means of cooking utensils to say a stove was left on. She is adamant that nobody was in the building and the property being a properly fenced structure, from her vantage point, she is sure that she didn’t see anybody come in or exit the premises. We believe that the fire was started by someone, but at this time we cannot exactly say who it was that started the fire.”

 

Left with only the clothes on their backs, Wade and Miles slept at a hotel on Wednesday night. Today, they are in contact with relatives and friends to find a temporary space while they try to recover since the house was not insured.

 

Brenda Wade

“I have to take it one day at a time until I get through and settle down because I still kinda shaken up because I neva expect it. I neva expect something like that fi I deh right over deh.”

 

Lennox Miles

“That wah hard, I noh know how we wah do that. But we are asking for a lee help or so. We can’t give up; that dah one thing. We can’t give up.”

 

Duane Moody for News Five.

 

Anyone who would like to assist can contact Wade at cell phone numbers:  623-6263 or 634-2632


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed