Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Blazing Fire at an Abandoned Property Comes Dangerously Close to Lumber Yard
Oct 6, 2020

Blazing Fire at an Abandoned Property Comes Dangerously Close to Lumber Yard

A fire at an abandoned house came dangerously close to an apartment building occupied by twelve families. The fire erupted at a wooden house at the corner of Curassow Street around midday. The flames soon consumed the house spreading dangerously close to Coto Lumber Yard.  Fire fighters arrived on the nick of time and were able to contain the blaze. Duane Moody reports.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

A two-storey wooden and concrete house at the corner of Curassow Street and Cemetery Road, which residents say has been abandoned for months and was occupied by homeless persons, went up in flames just before midday on Monday. Residents say they saw a homeless man leaving the house shortly before smoke was seen coming from the structure, which had no electricity.

 

Shyla Perez

Shyla Perez, Landlady, Coto Lumber Yard

“I was upstairs and after a little while smoke started to come in here and I thought it was a fire or maybe garbage. When I came out, everybody was out there and they started saying that the house is catching fire. When I saw it, it was nothing alarming at the beginning; it was a little bit of smoke. But when the wind came, cause it’s been windy these days, when we saw the fire, I hurry call the fire-fighters and before they reach, it was catching fire. It came to a point where the fence from our side was catching fire. So thank God the fire trucks came on time. I am very grateful for that because if they were not on time, it would be another story because the fire was passing to our side. And as you can see this building is a wooden building so it would have been a different story.”

 

The fire came dangerously close to Coto Lumber Yard, which is adjacent to the property. The foliage along the fence was destroyed by the blaze. Shyla Perez called the National Fire Service when thick smoke began saturating the air inside the lumber yard.

 

Shyla Perez

“All of us had to come out because the smoke was in here. It was thick, a black thick smoke and then the ashes were coming in. So all of us had to go out at the back or some of us went over this side. But it was a scary view. For me it was a first time seeing something like that. So the kids were very scared; even my son and the others were like we’re gonna catch fire, we’re gonna catch fire. But then we managed to calm them down, but it was really a sad view.”

 

As the fire raged it became dangerous because there are up to twelve families who rent apartments within the lumber yard.

 

Shyla Perez

“I rent small rooms, not big. But each one of them have a stove and a gas tank and a refrigerator. So the worry is that if this place would have caught fire, it would have definitely been devastating. And then the time it took fire-fighters to off that fire, they would not be able to off this on time. So it was two trucks for that small house. So now our mind was imagine this big place and most of the wood is pine and as you know pine quickly catch fire.”

 

When we checked with the National Fire Service earlier today, a report determining the cause of the fire had still not been prepared. Duane Moody for News Five.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed