Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Fire Partially Destroys House in Belize City
Jul 13, 2020

Fire Partially Destroys House in Belize City

A family of five needs assistance to recover from a fire that damaged their house. Kendra Timmons and her four children were watching television on Sunday night when the fire broke on the ground floor of the house they occupied.  The family managed to get out but part of the building was ravaged by the blaze. Fire fighters managed to bring the fire under control and avert further damage. News Five’s Hipolito Novelo spoke to the fire victims today and has the following report.

 

Hipolito Novelo, Reporting

The fire broke out a few minutes after ten o’clock on Sunday night. Inside the house was a family of five. Kendra Timmons and her children were watching television when they started to smell smoke.

 

Kendra Timmons, Fire Victim

“I got up and I started to look around and we didn’t see anything. So my gentlemen went outside and we saw smoke. Immediately he came back and started to lose the gas tank. That is when I started to see thick black smoke coming from the flooring.”

 

The fire started on the ground floor, inside a room occupied by Miss Sherly. Timmons and her family quickly rushed outside as the fire spread.

 

Kendra Timmons

Kendra Timmons

“I ran downstairs. I was so frightened.  I ran downstairs and I heard my gentlemen say come for the gas tank so I went for the gas tank and at that moment I said I am not coming back in that house. The fumes were already filling up, you can feel the heat on your feet from downstairs. So I just struggle to take the gas tank across the street. No one got hurt. This is my son’s room. It started right downstairs so this is the room that got the most damaged. You can actually see downstairs so we are not walking here too much because we do not want to fall in.”

 

Quick fire fighters response prevented the fire from completely engulfing the building. The cause of the fire is inconclusive

 

Kenneth Mortis

Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service

“We have no reason to conclude that there was a candle of any sort left unattended. Miss Shirley is not in any position to do any cooking as she basically a peddler that just tries to go about making means. It is an unfortunate case that in this particular fire due to lack of information the fire department cannot lateral concluded a cause of the fire. Who would want to legitimately cause damage is a mystery yet to be solved on behalf of the Fire Department.”

 

To assist the family you can contact them at Six fifteen, ninety-one, twenty-six. Reporting for News Five, I am Hipolito Novelo.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed