Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » New Year’s Day Fire Destroys Home in Cotton Tree
Jan 3, 2020

New Year’s Day Fire Destroys Home in Cotton Tree

New Year’s Day is usually a time for celebration and a day to look forward to exciting things in the year ahead.  But for one family in Cotton Tree Village, 2020 began with an unexpected misfortune. A fire destroyed the family home and they lost just about everything inside. Here’s the story with Andrea Polanco.


Andrea Polanco, Reporting

A fire destroyed the home of Samoza Family in Cotton Tree village on New Year’s Day. The fire reportedly started around one that afternoon. The occupants were at another property in the village; only one family member was outside in the yard when he saw flames inside the house. Today, Diana Samoza says it was an electrical fire.


Diana Samoza

Diana Samoza, Fire Victim

“The fireman says that the electric wires were too thin and we had too much connected. We had a freezer connected and a refrigerator connected. Too much things connected.”


Andrea Polanco

“So, before this you guys didn’t notice anything – spark or smoke or anything – the wires didn’t give an indication before?”


Diana Samoza

“We had internet here and the box about two times went wrong and then the thirty-first I called because the box mi the give me trouble and they said maybe it is an electrical problem but I didn’t pay it attention.”


The family lost almost everything, except for two appliances they managed to save before the fire destroyed their home. The Samozas say that their life’s savings built this house ten years ago and they have lived here ever since. Eleven persons resided here – four adults and seven children.


Diana Samoza

“Actually, I don’t know the value because two families lived here; me and my husband; my mom and her husband. We lost everything inside; microwave, bed, our roof top, everything.”


According to the family, the fire tore through the house quickly – but with their neighbours help they contained it.


Cindy Samoza

Diana Samoza

“We all out off the fire. We had some neighbours helping and we had some other neighbours standing and watching. So we mostly got help thanks to our neighbours we could have put off the fire. So, when the fire department come we could have done put the fire under control. They just came to help and out it off all.”


Cindy Samoza, Fire Victim

“We out the fire in time or else she would have stayed without house too. Because she is just trying to build her house but everything in there was mine and her stove and appliances and closet and clothes.”


And now the family needs roofing materials to rebuild from this fire. Today they are most thankful that no-one was hurt.


Diana Samoza

“Hmmm dah wah bad new year’s we have; bad luck. It could have been worse. I have my kids; my daughter is one and my son is two and if they mi get trapped in the fire; hmmm I don’t know. I thought my kids were inside and I just jumped into the fire but my husband grabbed me and pulled me out.”


Cindy Samoza

“I thank God that nothing bad happen to the kids so I tell ah not to worry about the materials thing but right now we really need a roof.”


Reporting for News Five, I’m Andrea Polanco.


The Samozas say that they received some relief from NEMO, as well as U.D.P. standard bearer Ramon Witz.  If you’d like to help the Samoza family, you are asked to call 629-9509 or 602-7434

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed