Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » Fire Department Warns about Faulty Electrical
Jan 3, 2020

Fire Department Warns about Faulty Electrical

Kenneth Mortis

As you heard just now, the Samoza family lost all their belongings in a blaze that damaged their family home. They are now in need of roofing materials and other items to rebuild their lives. The fire was caused by faulty electrical wires and the Fire Department says that families need to do more to safe guard their property when it comes to using electrical cords for power. Here’s more from Kenneth Mortis of the Fire Department.


Kenneth Mortis, Station Supervisor, National Fire Service

“We have investigated and concluded that that fire was as a result of an electrical fault which stems from faulty extension cords which damaged and exposed the electrical wires.”


Duane Moody

“What kind of precautions should people take because it is not the first time we are hearing about these faulty electrical cords?”


Kenneth Mortis

“The fire department has always tried to emphasize the importance of taking that extra expense when it comes to extension cords. We try out best to discourage family members from using what we refer to as the flimsy extension cords which you can buy at the grocery store for about seven dollars. You want to protect your property, protect your belongings, then you make the extra effort and buy the heavy duty extension cord that is rated to withstand additional extension cords coming off the main drop. So, it is a basic sense in how far you want to go in preserving and protecting versus how lackadaisical you want to be in not taking proper steps to protect your belongings.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed