Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » Edwin Usher Dies 1 Week after He was Brutally Beaten
Dec 3, 2019

Edwin Usher Dies 1 Week after He was Brutally Beaten

An investigation has been launched into the death of a resident of Cedar Street in Belize City. Edwin Usher died over the weekend at the K.H.M.H. after he was beaten badly one week earlier. The incident, which was captured on surveillance video, occurred on November twenty-third around two p.m. in front of Li Zhen Store located on Vernon Street. Usher was attacked and rendered unconscious. He sought medical attention, but slipped into a coma and became unresponsive until his death. Police are now looking for a suspect in connection with this deadly beat down. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.


Duane Moody, Reporting

Another death was recorded over the weekend in Belize City. Forty-nine-year-old Edwin Usher succumbed on Saturday, November thirtieth, at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. He was hospitalized for exactly one week, having sustained head and bodily injuries during a vicious beat down on Vernon Street on November twenty-third.


Albert Miller

Albert Miller, Uncle of Deceased

“The Tuesday went and operate on him. They couldn’t treat him right away because he was under the influence. So the hospital, being safe, couldn’t treat him right away. They tried to give him the best service as possible. And what’s happened that the Monday when they thought that he could have…well the medical could have take or respond to the medication, they took him to the surgery. During the surgery he went into a coma and he took brain dead. And after he took brain dead that whole week; the Thursday, they come and they told us that he is dead.”


Usher reportedly exited a store on Vernon Street when he was attacked by a man. A struggle ensued and an intoxicated Usher was punched several times. Even as he fell to the sidewalk, his attacker jumped and stomped on his head rendering Usher unconscious. The assailant then escaped towards Youth for the Future Drive. Albert Miller says the beating chanced his nephew out of his life.


Albert Miller

“Tommy was around here working with us too and he left. After he left from here, he went somewhere around by Conch Shell Bay. And I guess coming back from the Conch Shell Bay he caught in an argument with someone and he was kinda tipsy, drunk too. And the person hit him and he hit his head on the pavement. And after that, someone who saw the incident said that the person kick him and stomp him up in the head. That wasn’t too cool. So when he came around here, he couldn’t even speak. He got his jaw broke on both side, his eyes swell, can hardly open; his head burst.”


Tommy, as he was affectionately known, was the neighbourhood’s handyman and messenger. His uncle says that his attacker is from the area as well.


Albert Miller

“He’s a person—all bark and no bite. He is the neighbourhood’s messenger, he’s the neighbourhood worker. Anyone of these people around here that choose to talk about him can tell you. Miss Martha right there can tell you. Everybody around here miss Tommy. He’s my nephew, I am not vouching for him cause he is ignorant. Literacy ignorant; he’s not violent ignorant. Many a days when he is drinking around here we tell him, Tommy stop drink mien; the drinking not necessary.”


Police are looking for a suspect in connection with this incident. Duane Moody for News Five.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Comments are closed