Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Family of Nine is Displaced by Fire in Roaring Creek
Jul 18, 2019

Family of Nine is Displaced by Fire in Roaring Creek

A family in Roaring Creek Village has been left homeless following a devastating fire. The blaze consumed the house in which they lived for seventeen long years. It is believed that the fire was caused by an electrical fault displacing the Arnold family. In the aftermath of the fire, the Arnold’s need help. Here is News Five’s Duane Moody. 


Duane Moody, Reporting

Around four p.m. on Wednesday, a fire broke inside a wooden house in the Another World area of Roaring Creek Village, Cayo District. It was the home of forty-four-year-old Denise Arnold and her family. Within minutes, the blaze engulfed the structure, destroying everything in its path. Even as fire-fighters arrived to the scene and got into operation, the place was gutted.


Denise Arnold

Denise Arnold, Fire Victim

“I was just coming home from work and just step out of the taxi and my niece-in-law call me and said, “Hurry auntie, come yah.” And I was like lef mi lone cause we like to joke. And ih say I just get a call that your house is on fire. And I say I noh believe unu; unu di tell lie.  All I could think about was to look di west direction and that was the area like weh my house deh and I just see this big smoke ina di air. So when I see that I know they weren’t joking.  I saw the house on fire and that’s not a good feeling; to come from work or from somewhere and everything gone.”


The structure was home for Arnold and her children for the past seventeen years and they are now staying with family and friends in the village until they can somehow recover from the devastation. They were left with only the clothes on their backs.


Denise Arnold

“It is hard, but I know with God’s grace and the love from people, I know I will get back something to call my home. Well right now I am staying with my best friend here in Roaring Creek. Some of them are with me and some are with family members. I always see it and say, I could just imagine how they people feel. And from yesterday, I know what family feel when they go through something like that. Now I can say if something like that happens to another family, I can say I know how that family feels.”


Station Officer Orin Smith of the National Fire Service says that the Belmopan Branch received the call from police around 4:20 that afternoon and a unit was dispatched. The twenty-five by twenty-four structure could not be saved. Smith says that it was an electrical fire.


Orin Smith

Orin Smith, Station Officer, National Fire Service

“Investigation revealed that the structure was occupied by a family of nice. The structure was not insured; it is unknown whether the contents were. The scene analysis indicate that the fire originated in a bedroom on the north of the structure. Close examination of electrical wiring and outlets within that room indicate evidence of leading, which is accustomed with electrical. As a result, the fire was determined to be electrical.”


Denise Arnold is asking for assistance to build back her house because the house was uninsured.


Denise Arnold

“Well the main thing that I would appeal to people for help is material to try build back something that my family can call back a home again because we don’t have something to call a home. Material stuff and thing, we can get that back little by little. But the main thing is material to build back to have a shelter over our head.”


Duane Moody for News Five.


Anyone who would like to assist the family can contact Denise Arnold at 607-0932, 623-0572 or 624-0633.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login