Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Diaz Family Displaces by Fire in Georgeville
Jul 15, 2019

Diaz Family Displaces by Fire in Georgeville

In a matter of minutes, a family of eight was displaced by fire in the village of Georgeville, Cayo at the start of the weekend. It is believed a four-year-old boy accidentally caused the fire to start when he was playing with matches inside one of the bedrooms.  Fire-fighters tried to contain the blaze, but it consumed a large part of the house where the Diaz family lived.  Tonight, they are trying to pick up the pieces in the wake of the devastating fire. News Five’s Duane Moody reports.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

A family of eight has been staying with relatives and friends in Georgeville, Cayo after the place they called home for decades went up in flames on Friday afternoon. Around three o’clock, a fire broke inside one of the bedrooms to the rear of the six-bedroom concrete house in the village. The blaze spread quickly to destroy the structure and its contents inside.  Homeowner Zoila Diaz says that about five of them were inside the house including her grandchildren.

 

Voice of: Zoila Diaz, Fire Victim

“I mi deh dah front sit down and from there I went into the bathroom and I heard by granddaughter di halla fi ih auntie di halla, goh dah back go see weh smoke di come from. When I hear she di say that, I come out of the bathroom and when I come to the back piece, I went to the room, but I couldn’t get into the room because it mi done under blaze already. But only my grandson mi deh back deh. So I noh know weh happen; I noh know weh ih do, but he run out from back there.”

 

News Five has been reliably informed that one of the grandchildren was playing with matches and accidently lit a mattress on fire in a room. The rooms to the rear of the building were occupied by Diaz and her son.

 

Voice of: Zoila Diaz

“Everything damage ina di back part. Me and my son lose everything weh we had back there cause we mi stay dah di back so all our clothes and thing damage up and everything. We lose everything back there.”

 

The fire department responded quickly to the area and fire-fighters got into operation and were able to contain the blaze from spreading to the front portion of the structure. By then, however, the entire roofing had been damaged and there was obvious water damage to household items. Anthony Diaz got the call shortly after the fire broke and rushed over from work. Along with residents, he was able to save a few items, which are being stored at neighbours and relatives in the interim. He received burns to the face and hands.

 

Anthony Diaz

Anthony Diaz, Fire Victim

“My brother get a phone call and said the house is on fire about quarter to four. And then we take off from work trying to reach here and when we reached here, the whole roof was under fire. The whole three rooms already burn up. So we couldn’t do nothing until the fire engine come and try out the fire and dah soh ih cool off and we continue finish out it up. Almost di whole village mi deh out yah di take out everything outta di hosue; di try see weh could save.”

 

Duane Moody

“So these that we see here is all that was saved?”

 

Anthony Diaz

“…and something underneath there and some in my shop that I had there. Everything else loss; everything bruk up weh people couldn’t take out in time—just bruk up, plates everything.”

 

Unfortunately, the house and its contents were not insured. Anthony Diaz is putting the estimated cost of the loss at about one hundred thousand dollars. The family is asking for assistance to get back on its feet.

 

Anthony Diaz

“We wah try do something. Some family members wah help; somebody have to do something or we wah do it weself too.”

 

Duane Moody for News Five.

 

If you would like to assist the Diaz family, you can contact them at six-zero-zero-six-six-zero-eight.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login