Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » Nestor Vasquez Junior Succumbs to Injuries After Deadly Beat Down in Holding Cell
Jun 10, 2019

Nestor Vasquez Junior Succumbs to Injuries After Deadly Beat Down in Holding Cell

Nestor Vasquez Jr.

Sixty-year-old Nestor Vasquez Junior, the namesake son of B.T.L. Chairman Nestor Vasquez and elder sibling of broadcaster Jules Vasquez, succumbed to injuries he received inside a holding cell last Thursday.  Vasquez, who was mentally ill, was taken into police custody on the request of his younger brother pending treatment for his illness.  While in detention, Vasquez was placed inside a lockup with another individual who also suffers from mental illness.  That person has been identified as Collin Francis, who was previously arrested and charged for the attempted murder of Nurse Augustina Elijio.  That incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon at the clinic in Port Loyola.  But the unfortunate demise of Nestor Vasquez reveals a grave breach in protocols at the Queen Street Police Station where the officers on duty failed to come to the aid of the detainee who was being pummeled by Francis.  During the vicious beat down, Vasquez was injured to the face and head and was bludgeoned by his attacker.  Tonight, his sibling and colleague newscaster Jules Vasquez explains what transpired.


Jules Vasquez

Jules Vasquez, Brother of Deceased

“My brother died at 9:40 on Saturday night.  He died of brain trauma.  He was beaten mercilessly to his head.  His face was crushed and a post mortem this morning found that he died of blunt force trauma.  Eventually, he had no injuries below the neck; it was all concentrated on his head which was literally disassembled.  He had been mauled which is the word that I had used. My brother had been having an acute episode, he is mentally ill and has been having an acute episode for about a week and he displayed certain behavior that wasn’t safe for our family and I had to ask the police to detain him on Monday because, regrettably, detention is the only way many mentally ill people can access the care they need to calm them down.  And that’s what he got on Monday; they took him to the Port Loyola clinic where Nurse Elijio treated him.  On Tuesday, Nurse Elijio would become a victim of the person who eventually gave the injuries that killed my brother.  But the police then illegally kept him in custody.  We agreed that they would keep him until Tuesday morning without charge.  They then illegally kept him in custody for sixty-five hours without charge and released him on Thursday morning at which point they came to my office and again displayed behavior that it was not for the safety of everyone there.  We felt that it wasn’t optimal for safety and I again had to ask police to come and pick him up for the same reason because being mentally ill in this country one cannot directly access the sort of compassionate care that is needed in that situation.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply