Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » 7 Persons Homeless after Fire Guts 2 Houses in Family Yard
Apr 17, 2019

7 Persons Homeless after Fire Guts 2 Houses in Family Yard

Two wooden houses were totally destroyed by a raging fire on Tuesday night. Seven persons were displaced and today they are picking up the pieces to rebuild. The fire started at about ten-thirty inside a three-bedroom structure which housed five family members, including a baby of the Cadle family of Rose Lane, Belize City. It spread to another house occupied by sixty-one-year-old Brenda Cadle and her husband. They were in bed when the fire broke. News Five’s Duane Moody was on the scene on Tuesday night and files this report.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

From a distance, orange-tinted smoke billowed in the sky as a late night fire raged on in the Saint Martin De Porres area around ten-thirty on Tuesday night. Two wooden houses within the Rose Lane property of Brenda Cadle were engulfed in flames. Cadle and her husband were alerted by a neighbour that the house to the rear was on fire; they got out just before the inferno spread to their elevated two bedroom house adjacent to it. The sixty-one-year-old woman recounted the ordeal.

 

Brenda Cadle

Brenda Cadle, Fire Victim

“About after ten, I done ina mi bed, me and mi gentleman di watch boledo and the rest of TV and my neighbour son yell out for me. So my gentleman run come out dah di door and I come behind and ih say fire. So when I run come down the step and I peep, I see the fire ina my son bedroom. So I run back upstairs to see what I coulda mi get outta my house cause I live upstairs. I di try haul this and haul that di come out and I gone back in fi something and here come the police and say, “Miss come down.” Well I was out of it so I jump down off of the step and I take the gate.  So glad I am alive. Lose everything.”

 

A total of seven persons have been left homeless in the wake of the inferno; five lived in the three bedroom structure from which the fire started. According to Cadle, they’ve been living at that property for over fifty years, but within minutes everything was gutted.

 

Brenda Cadle

“Duane, we move back here late sixties. The front house dah di family house where my seven kids dehn born and grown. When [Hurricane] Keith come di house drop and I ask for a little assistance and I noh like dehn turn mi round. Me I love to burn my ten finger cause I am a mother that loves my kitchen and it let me get my little shanti upstairs. My daughter build this; she move and went and live with her gentleman and with the two youngest and left the two oldest here. So we are family. My son, my granddaughter, my grandson and the girl, they lose everything. Nobody neva deh down yah. Mi son gone dah ih gial, mi lee granddaughter gone dah ih bwai; mi grandson gone dah Lemonal and the girl and the baby went to her mother. So no help; my gentleman run down the step and holler for my son-in-law. So all I coulda mi do dah try full wah bucket and dash it, but the weakness, so I take di gate.”

 

The family, as well as residents who flocked to the scene, says that the personnel from the National Fire Service responded within minutes of the fire and after a quick size-up fire-fighting got underway.

 

Orin Smith

Orin Smith, Station Officer, National Fire Service

“Two units were dispatched to that location. On arrival on scene at number 2575 Rose Lane found were two structures on a property. The structure to the rear of the property was seen fully engulfed in flames. The structure to the front had the north section engulfed in flames. Following a brief size-up, we got into operation and extinguished the fire. As a result of that fire, the structure to the rear was destroyed and the structure to the front was basically gutted by the fire.”

 

According to Station Officer Orin Smith, the investigation is still ongoing into the case of the blaze. While he says that they are leaning towards an electrical short that triggered the inferno, Cadle says that she knows that is what caused the fire because the house to the rear was receiving a drop from her house, via an electrical cord which malfunctioned.

 

Orin Smith

“The fire originated in an east compartment of the rear structure and on the south east of that particular apartment. The cause of the fire is still not yet determined. The investigation is leading towards the fault being electrical, but the officers are still analyzing the data they had collected.”

 

Brenda Cadle

“To be honest, they neva had no down deh. It was a drop from up to down so it gotta be electrical problem. And anybody who di listen to me ‘Stela B’ di talk, I want them to get their facts straight.”

 

With a sense of relief that no one was injured in the blaze, Cadle says that she and her family will now find a way to rebuild.

 

Brenda Cadle

“I have good family members and anyone who wants to chip in, they’re welcome.”

 

Both structures were uninsured. Duane Moody for News Five.

 

Anyone who would like to assist the Cadle family can contact the family at 600-8661.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*