Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places, Trials » Weighing the Options of a Reserved Court of Appeal Judgment
Apr 8, 2019

Weighing the Options of a Reserved Court of Appeal Judgment

The Attorney General also told the media that the urgency on proceeding with the April tenth referendum was simply because a great deal of time and resources has already been expended on getting to this point of preparedness. Peyrefitte, however, agreed that if the referendum has to be put on hold, government was also looking at that possibility.

 

Michael Peyrefitte, Attorney General

“In that case, then we have to surely consider, we have considered, we continue to consider the possibility that the referendum may not be held on April tenth.  We know that if the Court of Appeal makes a decision today then refusing our application for an expedited hearing, we know that the C.C.J. doesn’t close and they have no rules and restrictions that pertain to expedite hearing.  They could hear it tonight, midnight, two a.m. if they wanted to.  So there is that option.  If the Court of Appeal refuses us then it would be fair to say that having the referendum on April tenth would be in serious jeopardy.  Although not impossible, it would be an even steeper climb to have it on April tenth if the Court of Appeal rejects us today.”

 

Isani Cayetano

“So what’s the sense of urgency should it come down to the wire?”

 

Michael Peyrefitte

Michael Peyrefitte

“What do you mean what’s the sense of urgency?”

 

Isani Cayetano

“…to want to push it to April tenth notwithstanding everything that has happened.”

 

Michael Peyrefitte

“It is part of the case; a lot of preparation has been put into making sure this referendum happens April tenth.  A lot of time has been taken away from public servants in order for them to prepare for this referendum.  We have all the observers, most of them are already in country.  We have everything in place for April tenth to push it back to another date and we will if we have to, but to push this back another date would cause considerable expense and just overall, you know, it would be troublesome to have it beyond April tenth.  If we have to, we have to.”


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*