Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » Convicted and Fined for Up to 10 Grams of Weed? Here’s How Your Record Can Be Expunged
Jul 25, 2018

Convicted and Fined for Up to 10 Grams of Weed? Here’s How Your Record Can Be Expunged

In 2017, a law was passed, making the possession of up to ten grams of marijuana legal.  According to Attorney General Michael Peyrefitte, the amendment to Misuse of Drugs Act was to ‘try and give people a break.’ Prior to the new law, persons were arrested and ended up in jail for a miniscule stick of weed. For those persons who have that type of police record, there is a way to make it all go away. Peyrefitte says it only takes a letter sent to the Commissioner of Police asking for the record to be expunged.


Michael Peyrefitte

Michael Peyrefitte, Attorney General

“There is no strict form of attestation. You can simply write, if you had been fined before and it was less than a certain amount you get your record from the Magistrate Court to show that that was your conviction and fine. Write a cover letter to the Commissioner of Police and say Dear Commissioner, pursuant to this law, this was my conviction, this was fine it comes with the law and I hereby request from you to expunge my record and it will be done. It is a law so the Commissioner will have no choice but to expunge the record. I don’t see why it should take anything more than a couple of days. I have told that there have been applications and people seem to have gotten their expungement.”


Adult marijuana users are required to use the drug within the confines of their homes.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Convicted and Fined for Up to 10 Grams of Weed? Here’s How Your Record Can Be Expunged”

  1. Tiffany Y. Sebastian says:

    Adult marijuana users can smoke in the confines of their homes. Cigarette users can smoke wherever they want. Where are the laws to protect my health and the health of my family from such persons?

    I pay my taxes, I am a law abiding citizen, yet there are no laws to protect me from second hand smoking. This is not right, its simply not right.

    Lord Help Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be logged in to post a comment Login