Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Did a Charging Golf Cart Cause the Deadly Fire in San Pedro?
Jun 14, 2018

Did a Charging Golf Cart Cause the Deadly Fire in San Pedro?

The Fire Department continues its investigations into the horrific fire in the Escalante Subdivision of San Pedro. Thirty-six-year-old Clarita Bacab, perished in the inferno as did her two children and niece.  All died when they were unable to get out of the burning house just before three o’clock on Tuesday morning. Two fire trucks attempted to put out the blaze, but had to interrupt fire-fighting efforts when they ran out of water. As residents grieve the death of the four family members, the police today provided brief information as to what could have sparked the fire.


Wilfredo Ferrufino

Insp. Wilfredo Ferrufino, C.I.B., Eastern Division

“San Pedro Police visited an unnamed street in the Escalante Sub-division in San Pedro, Town. Upon arrival, there they observed that a two-storey building was under flames. The top of the building being wooden and the bottom being concrete. The fire was eventually extinguished by the fire personnel, however, by the time that occurred four persons had already perished in the fire. They were occupying the upper level of the building and they are a 36 year-old-mother; a fourteen-year-old, sixteen-year-old and a four-year-old child. The lower level of the building was occupied by four other persons and they did not receive any injuries. Two other persons from the upper flat of the building, Mr. David Nunez received injuries from burns and he is in a critical condition at the KHMH and a 16-year-old who received burns to both his palms. What Police have been made to understand at this time, is that there was a golf cart being charged, a battery-operated golf cart being charged near to the building and that golf cart somehow caught fire, the battery exploded and the fire then spread to the steps of the building and then to the remainder of the building causing it to eventually become completely engulfed in flames.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login