Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » Getting Ready for Re-Registration
Jun 7, 2018

Getting Ready for Re-Registration

Josephine Tamai

During a session with the media on May ninth, Chief Elections Officer Josephine Tamai discussed the requirements for eligibility in the upcoming re-registration exercise.  The head of the Elections and Boundaries Department outlined criteria that must be met in order for voters to qualify for the activity.  Today, those prerequisites were published via a press release sent out by the office.  The lengthy announcement is summarized in an interview conducted with Tamai last month.  For context we will revisit that discussion with Tamai.


Josephine Tamai, Chief Elections Officer [File: May 9th, 2018]

“A person must be eighteen years of age and is a citizen of Belize or a citizen of a commonwealth country who has resided in Belize for no less than twelve months. In order to be qualified as a registered elector in a particular division, persons must reside at that specific address in that division for no less than two months, so that is crucial. You must reside at your particular address for no less than two months in order for you to be registered at that particular address. Persons who come to the registration centers are required to bring along with them their original birth certificate and a photograph. The photograph can be one which is signed, stamped and certified by a Justice of the Peace. We will also be accepting the social security card as a form of identification as a picture ID. Persons can also bring along a valid passport. Naturalized Belizeans must bring along either their Belizean passport or their nationality certificates. For their persons who present nationality certificates that don’t have photographs on them, those persons are also required to bring along a picture ID, again, stamped, signed and certified by a JP for them to get registered.  So, that is basically saying that any person who comes in must bring an ID card or a photo identification signed by a Justice of the Peace. For those females who have married, if you don’t have any identification card in your married name, you will be required to bring in your marriage certificate in order to be registered in your married name. Persons who have changed their names, those persons need to bring in their deed poll and those are only accepted along with a birth certificate; so you can’t just come with the deed poll, the birth certificate needs to be attached.  In terms of Belizeans living abroad, remember one of the qualifications, you must reside in Belize at the specific address for at least two months. But when it comes to residents, the law provides that for persons who are in employment with the Government of Belize, persons seeking medical attention and for persons who are studying abroad, they are still considered a resident; so those persons, once they come in they can still apply to be registered.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login