Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime » Police, family puzzle over murder of Salvador Marquez
Jan 13, 2017

Police, family puzzle over murder of Salvador Marquez

Salvador Marquez

A sixty-two-year old man who left his home to go fishing on Thursday never made it back home in the Gungulung community, Belize City. Salvador Rivera Marquez suffered a horrible and cruel death, but it is not known why or who took his life in a remote area off the George Price Highway.  Police, however, know that he was hacked to death. There were multiple chop wounds to the head and arm. News Five’s Isani Cayetano today spoke to a first responder on the scene where the body was found.


Isani Cayetano, Reporting

The body of sixty-two-year-old Salvador Rivera Marquez was discovered in a remote area of Belize City on Thursday evening.  The Salvadoran national left home around eight o’clock that morning en route to an area approximately a mile and a half from this location, off the George Price Highway.  Marquez frequented the seafront stretch where he had selected an ideal fishing spot.  When he failed to return home at his usual time, the family grew concerned.  Retired Major Lloyd Jones had not long arrived at a nearby establishment when Marquez’s distraught wife and daughter-in-law showed up.


Lloyd Jones

Lloyd Jones, First Responder

“I had been there perhaps, maybe five minutes or so and I observed a red pickup truck parked in the area and a gentleman alighted and went towards what I now know to be the beach.  He had probably [been] gone about twenty minutes, the rest of the people remained in the vehicle and about twenty minutes later I saw two women alight from the vehicle and they were in obvious distress.  The elderly lady was crying and the younger one was trying to console her and so we inquired as to what was the problem and the young lady informed me that a man had been murdered.”


That individual was indeed the patriarch of the Marquez family.  He was discovered in a pool of congealed blood, his body virtually hidden beneath the foliage.


Fitzroy Yearwood

Insp. Fitzroy Yearwood, Media Officer, Belize Police Department

“Police responded to a scene not too far from a popular nightclub on the George Price Highway.  This is a beach located a mile or so to the left of the highway, where they saw the lifeless body of Salvador Rivera with chop wounds to the head and the left arm.  He was severely chopped and we believe that he was left there for some hours prior to being discovered.”


The elderly man, a resident of Set Site in the Gungulung community, was found sometime after four o’clock by his son.  When the mother and daughter-in-law received word of the tragedy they turned to Jones for assistance.


Lloyd Jones

“I then called 911 to report the matter and the operator advised me that they were going to send a mobile.  I then went to look in the area to see what I could find myself but I wasn’t able to find it, it was a little ways away.  I returned back and I spoke to the young lady and I asked for more information.  By that time the mobile had arrived and it took about fifteen minutes or so for the mobile to arrive.  We then went along with the officers through the mangroves and then we came up onto the beach.  To the left or to the north of where we were, maybe about a half mile to about three quarters of a mile, we saw the son who had gone to look for his father and who had made the discovery.  The son told us that the father had gone fishing, it’s a usual fishing spot for him.  [He left home] about eight in the morning and he should have been home by one [o’clock] and so when they came to look for him it was almost five o’clock.  I think I called 911 at about 4:48 and clearly when he did not return at one they became worried and they decided to come and look for him and it was the son who made the discovery.”


When police finally made it to the location, the processing of the scene was stalled due to several unforeseen delays.


Isani Cayetano

“You mentioned earlier that you accompanied the officers to the scene of the discovery.  Can you describe to us what you saw when you got to where the body was?”


Lloyd Jones

“Well I saw an elderly gentleman.  I later learned that he was fifty-nine-years-old or thereabouts and he had several chop wounds to the body.  The left hand, the palm of the hand was almost severed.  He had a large part of his left bicep missing, what appeared to be a chop wound and he had an extremely large cut wound across the entire face.  It went from the left temple all the way down to his right chin.  He was on his back with his hands almost in a crucifix-type position and he still had the rope from the fishing net that he was using to catch shrimp in his left hand.”


Insp. Fitzroy Yearwood

“It took a while for the scene to be processed, we had some obstacles.  We have established from relatives of Mr. Salvador that he usually goes to that area to do his fishing.  It looks like that was his hubby and when they realized that he didn’t come home after a certain time, then of course everybody began to worry as to his whereabouts.  Why this happened we are not certain and we are asking the assistance of the public to help us in our investigation.”


Reporting for News Five, I am Isani Cayetano.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login