Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Leaking Gas Pipe Took Out Historic Chateau Caribbean
Dec 7, 2016

Leaking Gas Pipe Took Out Historic Chateau Caribbean

An investigation into the cause of a massive fire that decimated the historic Chateau Caribbean Hotel a week and a half ago, has concluded.  According to officials at the National Fire Service, the blaze was the result of an explosion triggered by a leaking gas line which led to the kitchen.  The blast took down an abutting wall and despite all efforts by employees of the establishment to extinguish the flames, the source of the gas leak was never capped, leaving the fuel to burn wildly as the building was engulfed in flames.


Orin Smith

Orin Smith, Operations Officer, National Fire Service

“The Chateau fire investigation has concluded.  That investigation revealed that the fire originated as a result of a gas leak from a galvanized pipeline that was used to transfer gas supply within the main stove within the kitchen on the third storey of the building.  The pipeline had a small leak that, I believe, eventually built up over time and this section of the pipeline that had the leak was within a double-layered wall of concrete blocks and when that ignition took place that Sunday morning it caused a sudden ignition that sounded like an explosion and in actuality it actually was because of the buildup of vapor within the wall.  It actually knocked down an entire section of the wall into the kitchen.  The rear section of the wall is still standing.”



“And this fire has nothing to do with another incident that we were told occurred like a week or so before?”


Orin Smith

“We did had an incident there that occurred but with an electrical overload and we believe that incident, I was given the understanding, occurred as a result of a neutral line from the public service line that eventually grounded itself into the system, the electrical system of the Chateau Caribbean and burned out some electrical supplies there.  I do not believe that incident may have been directly involved.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

You must be logged in to post a comment Login