Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Agriculture, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Cane Farmers Prepare for General Meeting
Jan 2, 2015

Cane Farmers Prepare for General Meeting

Audrey Matura-Shepherd

The Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association is convening a special general meeting on Sunday in San Roman Village.  The objective of the meeting is for B.S.C.F.A.’s committee of management to present to its membership an agreement that has been met with B.S.I.  They, in turn, will cast votes in favor of or objecting to the terms of the agreement.  Amid the goings on between the two parties is the prospect of legal action, particularly an injunction that will be filed by Lucilo Teck should the outcome of that meeting fail to address issues he has raised.  Attorney Audrey Matura-Shepherd gave an update on the matter this morning.


Audrey Matura-Shepherd, Attorney for Lucilo Teck

“Today was supposed to be the hearing for the interim injunction, however, both parties, Ms. Pricilla Banner, the attorney for the association and myself, the attorney for Mr. Lucilo Teck, spoke on Wednesday and we sought an adjournment simply because one of the things that was being sought for in that application was [that] we are stopping the committee of management from signing the agreement because they have to take it back to the general assembly.  So we have to wait and see what happens at the general assembly.  Are they following what we are asking for in that injunction?  If they do then there will be no need for the injunction.  So, but we don’t want to withdraw it prematurely either because if we withdraw it we don’t know what will happen on Sunday.  It’s clear what the injunction is seeking to do and we don’t want to waste the court’s time either.  So as we informed, I didn’t go to court personally but another attorney has been helping me with this matter, Mr. Anthony Sylvester.  He appeared in court today and he informed the court on the decision and the attorney for the other side appeared and basically that’s what we told the court.  We want an adjournment and the court, I am told, informed the attorneys with us that we are to go ahead then, thereafter and file the full claim, what is our full claim.  So there might still be a need for an injunction depending on what happens Sunday, we don’t know.  So that is why we did that.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply