Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Agriculture, Featured, People & Places » B.S.C.F.A. Chairman Says All Set for Signing
Dec 29, 2014

B.S.C.F.A. Chairman Says All Set for Signing

The New Year may yet turn out to be a good one for cane-farmers in the north, as there is word tonight that the signing of the agreement is likely, sooner rather than later. It’s been a complicated back and forth between the B.S.C.F.A. and ASR/B.S.I., but last word to News Five is that the factory has accepted the amendments proposed by the farmers. And with that acceptance, the B.S.C.F.A. Committee of Management expects that a majority of directors will vote to sign the agreement. Now we’ve learned through experience that in this industry, and with these players, nothing is ever as clear as it seems. But B.S.C.F.A. Chairman, Ezekiel Cansino, told us via phone today that so far, it’s looking positive for a start of crop very soon.


Via Phone: Ezekiel Cansino, Chairman, Committee of Management, B.S.C.F.A.

“When we received the draft agreement on Tuesday, the chemist advised us not to accept it as is, and to put in clearly that the SCPC will be fully in charge, because in their agreement was a sentence that from time to time the parties would be in consultation with the SCPC, and we erased all that part and we only put “by the SCPC.” And up to now we have received the response from B.S.I. and they accepted to have it that way as we amended. And the other part of Appendix Five where it said that mechanical harvesting would be considered, we also asked that it be removed, and they accepted also to remove that part. So B.S.I. has responded positive today, just like we amended.”


Ezekiel Cansino


“So with that said, do you see anything hindering the singing of the agreement at this point? B.S.I. seems to have given in to the amendments requested by the B.S.C.F.A.”


Via Phone: Ezekiel Cansino

“Well I don’t see anything to stop us from signing. So that’s why I am trying my best to gather the eighteen directors. Today will not be possible but tomorrow morning I am requesting them to be here at the B.S.C.F.A. to have a decision when or what time we can do the signing of this agreement. The condition of sugar roads, yes it is a concern, but I truly believe that if we do the singing we can start the crop by the second of January and the repairs or the fixing of all the sugar roads can be done at the same time.”

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply