Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters » Couple left homeless after mid-afternoon blaze destroys their house
May 19, 2014

Couple left homeless after mid-afternoon blaze destroys their house

A mid-afternoon fire at the corners of Lawrence Avenue and Jones Street has left a Belize City couple homeless.  Sometime after one o’clock, the attention of residents was drawn to the crackling of glass and other breakables.  Upon checking, it was discovered that the bungalow was engulfed in flames.  Michael Belisle, an employee of B.T.L., and his wife were away at work when it is believed that an electrical short may have been the cause of the blaze.  Despite alerting the authorities and notwithstanding their timely response, the concrete structure and all its contents were eviscerated.

 

Michael Belisle, Fire Victim

“I was applying for a street lamp in the Ladyville area at B.E.L. for a home that I have there.  That’s how it started, and then I got a call saying that my house was on fire and so I immediately called a hotline and then proceeded to come over here and found all the fire trucks and everybody else out here.”

 

Reporter

“Now I was made to understand by one of the officials out here that it actually started from your B.E.L. meter.  Were you experiencing any kind of electrical problems or anything of that sort?”

 

Michael Belisle

Michael Belisle

“No, none whatsoever.  Everything was fine and if you check my bill it’s going to be consistent.”

 

Reporter

“So now, who all lived in this home with you?  It was you and…”

 

Michael Belisle

“Just me and my partner.”

 

Reporter

“Was it insured, the contents and the structure?”

 

Michael Belisle

“Yes it was.”

 

Reporter

“Alright, so what’s the plan from here, I know the fire officials have managed to contain the fire and what-have-you, they are doing their usual investigation.  What’s next, what’s in line for you now?”

 

Michael Belisle

“Well, for tonight for sure, well we must take up residence at my mom in the King’s Park area.  As for what you see behind us here it’s like a total loss, there’s really nothing there so there’s no reason to be around here, so to speak.  All I’m going to do is secure my house once again.  I’m going to take my dogs and put them over there at the other house in King’s Park and then we see where we go from there.  I need to fill out a couple of reports, I think, with the fire department and the police and then we’ll speak to our insurance [company] and see where we go from there.”

 

Meanwhile, in Dangriga on Sunday night, a fire gutted an elevated wooden structure occupied by an elderly woman.  News Five understands that the woman was rescued from the burning building by her son, who risked life and limb to save her from the inferno.  The building, we understand was not electrified and officials from the fire department are conducting an investigation.  The property and its contents are valued at approximately seventeen thousand dollars.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*