Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Education » Investigation continues into the drowning of Escuela students
Apr 24, 2014

Investigation continues into the drowning of Escuela students

On April fourth, two students of Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico—Anahi Zepeda and Edgar Puck—drowned on a school trip. They were part of a group which had visited the Che Chem Ha Maya Site. On the way back the students stopped by the low-lying bridge in San Ignacio, allegedly to wash up, and minutes after, Zepeda and Puck were dead. An investigation was commenced on Monday, April seventh, to get to the bottom of the tragic incident. Today, three weeks after, we can report that the investigation is still not done. Jahmor Lopez, Manager of the Education Center in Corozal, told News Five today that the matter is in the hands of the Board of Management of the school.

 

E’Jahmor Lopez, Education Center Manager, Corozal

“The preliminary information gathering has been done and it is still ongoing and the Board of Management of Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico is fully engaged, they are fully on board, and they are the ones now proceeding with the full and thorough investigation and the Ministry at this point in time is unable to make any further comments until the Board has carried through its investigation because it is a process and so we have to await that investigation to go through because we don’t want to prejudice the proceedings so that is where we are at this point in time.”

 

Mike Rudon

E’Jahmor Lopez

“There are often times when investigations seem to drag on endlessly. I would think that an incident like this…there’s a list of the students who were present, the teachers who were present and any investigation would be basically getting statements from all of them…why is it taking so long…it’s been more than three weeks…”

 

E’Jahmor Lopez

“Exactly what it is that you are saying is what is happening right now. It seems to me that you are saying that the process is going too slow based on your own perception but what I can assure you is that the Board is fully engaged and is doing exactly what it is you’re saying should be done. We will be updated, I believe when school reopens, as to where they are in terms of what they have done so far…but I can assure you that the Board is very much engaged and is doing exactly what it is that you’re saying should be done in terms of gathering that information and trying to ascertain exactly what transpired.”

 

Lopez was unable to comment on the preliminary findings of the investigation. The Ministry of Education does maintain a representative on the Board of Management of Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

4 Responses for “Investigation continues into the drowning of Escuela students”

  1. the voice says:

    Mr. Lopez will not say nothing about the investigation because nothing has been done. And nothing will be done!!!!.

  2. alberto lagos says:

    he seems like a parrot repeating and repeating i don”t know why nothing has been done up to this time is really sad what happened to those kids,my sincere condolences to their families .

  3. mans says:

    Nothing will be done… the vice and principal are well connected UDP’s. Imagine your same government discipline you… it cant be… penner, castro and other never been convicted… and the robbers have been maintain by government …. two deaths are nothing…

  4. Rod says:

    Unu Betta remember all these things come voting time

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*