Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » P.M. promises infrastructure developments in Cayo Northeast from PetroCaribe funds
Jan 14, 2014

P.M. promises infrastructure developments in Cayo Northeast from PetroCaribe funds

Dean Barrow

In mid-October of last year, while encouraging voters of Cayo Northeast to abstain from signing the Penner recall petition, Prime Minister Dean Barrow promised residents that government would spend millions of dollars in infrastructure development in that constituency.  While the declaration may have appeased the electorate, it certainly raised the ire of teachers and public officers who have long been lobbying for a salary adjustment.  Their respective unions felt slighted that the issue was ignored in favor of the U.D.P. retaining that seat in the House of Representatives.  The sugared pill involved the expenditure of millions of dollars in Cayo Northeast, but what the P.M. failed to do at the time was declare its purpose as PetroCaribe funds.  So naturally, the teachers wanted a piece of the inducement.  For context, we will take you back to Cayo Northeast where that speech was delivered.

 

Prime Minister Dean Barrow [File: October 15th, 2013] [Video Courtesy: 7 News]

“I have spoken to the members of the Village Council, and I have told them that the work will begin immediately. There are some culverts that need replacing. The money was sent from the Ministry of Finance on Thursday to the Ministry of Works. You will choose your contractors, and those culverts will be replaced starting over this long weekend. The members of the Village Council told me that there is a need for a new school. Ladies and gentlemen, I solemnly promise to you tonight that the United Democratic Party Government will build you that new school. We have in our coffers millions and millions of dollars, and even before this saga with Elvin Penner started; I announced to the nation that we would be funding a program of infrastructural works countrywide that would amount to a grand total of just under 100 million dollars. There was already a program of development targeted at the Cayo Northeast Constituency, but in the circumstances, the Cayo Northeast Constituency must move to the head of the cue, to the front of the line. And I know that the media is here tonight, and I want them to report what it is I am saying. The kind of spending that you will now begin to see by this Government in the Cayo Northeast Constituency is the kind of spending that nowhere in this country has ever been seen before. If you want to see that kind of progress come to this community, come to the surrounding villages, and come to the whole of the Cayo Northeast Constituency, you will do whatever it takes to ensure that the United Democratic Party holds on to that seat in the House of Representatives.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

7 Responses for “P.M. promises infrastructure developments in Cayo Northeast from PetroCaribe funds”

  1. northeast citizen says:

    I live in a village called Duck Run II and for the last 12 years government has not paid any attention to the streets here. The only thinking they have done so far is to construct 2 speed bumps. The residents here have paid forroad mmaintenance with there own money and sometimes with the help of the Spanish lookout community.

  2. Love says:

    The money was sent from the Ministry of Finance on Thursday to the Ministry of Works.

    The people would like to know what happened to the money that was sent to start the work because to date nothing have been done. Is this another case like the San Antonio road where someone collected but the road was never done?

  3. Belizean Pride says:

    “I have spoken to the members of the Village Council, and I have told them that the work will begin immediately. There are some culverts that need replacing. The money was sent from the Ministry of Finance on Thursday to the Ministry of Works. You will choose your contractors, and those culverts will be replaced starting over this long weekend.”
    As usual the politricks of gov. these days, promise but never keep it. He said immediately while all the bullet tree road to spanish lookout is a sad state to travel, where’s the promise of the school and others nothing yet. I found it really astounding that people still believe these craps this scums says. Why? why? can’t we belizeans learn not to swallow these crap over and over to avoid the crises we’re living in.

  4. northeast citizen says:

    last week they install the culvert in an area where no Colbert is needed well other areas are in great need of a cuvert. the trucks that were used to transport a culvert left deep marks on the street. the streets here have not been this bad for over 10 years. They are impassable even with a four wheel drive truck. if they could at least send a greater to make a roads usable .again

  5. E De La Rosa says:

    I live in Duck Run II and the people here are very upset that instead of fixing the streets as promised, they have ruined our streets! It has never been this bad! The heavy trucks have sunk the streets way down and made it difficult for even a high vehicle to drive on. Vehicles getting stuck all the time.
    Bragging about having millions and millions of dollars for street repair really does not help unless you actually do the repairs! In fact we dont need millions and millions of dollars WE JUST NEED OUR STREETS MAINTAINED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! CAN YOU AT LEAST SEND A GRADER ONCE A YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS Embarrassing !!

  6. PERALTA says:

    MR PM ARE YOU THERE? the villagers here in Duck Run are very upset with what was done to the streets here. We have done the street repairs all these years without the help of the Ministry of Works because Government has neglected the roads here and now that you promised to fix the streets they are being destroyed! a culvert was installed about 100 ft away from where it was needed and the road is left in a very terrible condition!! now we have water ponds on the streets !! deep trenches and horrilble pot holes made by the contractor that installed the culvert. WE NEED URGENT ATTENTION NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. Jason says:

    The people responsible for messing up our streets here should be charged for damage to property!! The contractor, the manager for Misesry of Works the Minister of Works yes Montero they all should be locked up in jail for some time. Why is it that our voices are not heard? Duck Run II needs URGENT ATTENTION !! We need our streets back! HELLO!! YOU MESSED UP OUR ROADS HERE.
    Come election day and our voices will be heard! This Mess Up that the Ministry of Works did in this village of damaging our streets that we with our own private money have held in good condition for all these years that Mess up is really not appreciated !!! WE ARE TIRED OF VEHICLES GETTING STUCK !!!! WE WANT OUR ROADS BACK !!

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*