Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Environment, Sports » M.C.C. Grounds closed for much needed repairs
Jan 7, 2014

M.C.C. Grounds closed for much needed repairs

There is unease tonight in the football community over the closure of the M.C.C. Ground. The field was abruptly closed for renovation at an inopportune time for the Premier League of Belize, whose participating teams are preparing to advance to this season’s football playoffs.  While the National Sports Council is yet to issue an official release or offer an explanation for the sudden closure of the facility, the timing is inconvenient for FC Belize.  We are told that the club is awaiting the outcome of a subsequent game this weekend to determine whether or not it will proceed to the other round of tournament.  If they qualify, however, they will have to play their remaining home games elsewhere, outside of Belize City.  According to Maito Perdomo, the displacement will come at the expense of the individual teams.

 

Via Phone: Maito Perdomo, President, Premier League of Belize

Via Phone:Maito Perdomo

“Last year, I think it was around in August or maybe a little before August we were called to a meeting with the Minister of Sports and he said they wanted to close the M.C.C. grounds for repairs because it really needed a lot of repairs. And they wanted to do it from August bit he said that they will hold on till the end of the year to facilitate this tournament that was getting started and our tournament didn’t get started until September. He said that if when they close it they will try and have another field available which I believe was suppose to be the field at the Marion Jones Stadium. So that when he closes M.C.C. Grounds then football can play somewhere else. We are right now on the stages of our playoffs, going into the playoffs if they close M.C.C. now and the FC Belize qualify then they will have nowhere to play and they will have to go and play in one of the districts and that’s gonna incur a lot more cost. Besides our tournaments, there are a lot of other tournaments sponsored and run by the F.F.B. that their youth tournaments and other tournaments coming up and am not sure where all those tournaments are going to go. My understanding is the Marion Jones Field is not ready yet. Now I don’t know if that is true but I have not heard any official word if there is another filed available for us. I think the F.F.B. is approaching them, however our tournament is almost at the closing and if FC Belize does not qualify then the P.L.B. which is our league will have no team to participate at the M.C.C. right now. However we have another tournament starting the latter part of February which is the closing tournament because the P.L.B. is mandated by CONCACAF and FIFA we have to have two tournaments per year, per season. One is the opening tournament which is closing right now and the other one is the closing tournament which comes to an end in May. Now I don’t know if they close M.C.C. where we are; I have not had any other word from them as to where will be the alternative field.”

 

There is still no word as to how long the renovation of the M.C.C. Grounds will take and the fate of the remaining F.F.B. and P.L.B. tournaments.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*