Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » Fire in Ladyville leaves a family of five homeless
Jan 3, 2014

Fire in Ladyville leaves a family of five homeless

A family of five is tonight homeless after a fire in the Mitchell Estate Area of Ladyville gutted their house. The McKay family has been living in the three bedroom structure for over twenty-five years and now they are without a roof over their heads, following the inferno which was caused by a lit candle left unattended to inside the home. News Five’s Duane Moody has this report.

FOR VIDEO CLICK HERE: FIRE IN LADYVILLE

Duane Moody, Reporting

At this location where ashes and rubble remain once stood a three bedroom, wooden, bungalow house.  It was home for twenty-two-year-old Jenna McKay; her sister, Juleen; her two children and her nephew. But sometime around seven-thirty p.m. on Thursday the house, along with all its contents, was gutted by flames. Jenna blames herself because she left a candle lit inside her bedroom and went to a friend’s house.  She believes that is what caused the fire.

 

Jenna McKay, Fire Victim

Jenna McKay

“One of my friends mi di holler for me. I went across deh gone see dah what. I mi left on the candle and when I gone across there, I gone get something to eat. When my ma gone across to check because my ma usually cook and bring food fi we—and her plates mi left across there—and she gone for her plates there. When she gone, she says she see the fire, but she think it was behind the house. When she look, dah outta my room the fire mi di come from. So it looks like the fire start ina my room, catch my mattress and that dah how the fire start.”

 

Shortly after the flame engulfed the house, fire fighters responded. Despite their efforts to extinguish the blaze, the house, along with everything in it, was completely destroyed. Operations Officer at the National Fire Service, Benisford Matura, confirmed that the fire was caused by an unattended candle in one of the bedrooms.

 

Benisford Matura

Benisford Matura, Operations Officer, National Fire Service

“A quarter after seven, the Ladyville station got a call from the Ladyville police of a fire on Cuscus Street. They immediately dispatched and upon arrival, a twenty by twenty-two wooden structure approximately three feet off the ground was indeed totally engulfed by flames. They got into operations and did their best to extinguish the fire.”

 

Duane Moody

“We understand that there was no electricity in the house. What could have caused the fire? Could you tell us the details of the investigation?”

 

Benisford Matura

“The investigation reveals that the owner was Miss Sherlette Williams of same Ladyville of Azuelo Street Address. The occupiers were her daughters: Jenna McKay, Juleen McKay, Jazlyn McKay, Jervae McKay and a nine month old Zachary McKay. Investigation reveals that this fire started from an unattended candle that was located in the northwestern bedroom. So due to that it ended up gutting the whole house.”

 

Luckily, none of the three kids were inside the home when the fire broke and no one was injured in the inferno. The family, however, lost everything and is in need of some help to rebuild a house.

 

Jenna McKay

“Everything; everything. My social, my baby social, my ma step-daughters dehn one because I usually have everybody social and stuff—everything misplace ina di house…everything burn right now. The stove, the refridge, the gas tank, the sofa, TV, dressing table, the beds dehn; TV stand…lotta stuff.”

 

The house and all its contents, valued at approximately forty thousand dollars, were not insured. Duane Moody for News Five.

 

If anyone would like to assist the McKay family, you can contact them at phone number 626-2731

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*