Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Trials » Man freed of indecent assault charge after 9 years
Nov 20, 2013

Man freed of indecent assault charge after 9 years

A man who was accused back in 2005 of molesting an eight-year-old child in the city is free tonight. The mother of the child claimed she caught him partially nude in a room alone with the child who appeared frightened. Ervin Borland late this evening walked a free man from the Supreme Court on a single charge of aggravated assault of an indecent nature upon an eight-year-old girl, who he was accused of touching inappropriately on her private parts. The incident is alleged to have occurred sometime in May, 2005. And after waiting more than eight years to be tried, a jury of nine persons found him not guilty of the charge.  The jurors’ decision was unanimous.   The victim who was then eight, but now seventeen years old took the stand at the commencement of the trial last week and testified “en camera” telling the court that Borland removed her underwear and then touched her inappropriately on her private parts.  Prosecutor, Leeroy Banner called only two witnesses the minor and her mother to testify in the case against Borland.  The child’s mother told the court that she  had send her daughter to borrow a scissors from a next door neighbour who is also close to the family but when the child took too long to return home, she went in search of her.  According to the mother, she saw Borland partially nude wearing only a shirt and no underwear. Then she saw her daughter in one corner of the room. According to the mother, when questioned, the child remained quiet, but later she told the mother she had been abused. But jury, however, was unanimous in finding Borland not guilty.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

3 Responses for “Man freed of indecent assault charge after 9 years”

  1. beachman says:

    So sad – the victim gets re-victimized by the system for having to tell her story in public. Then, the knuckleheaded jurors assault her all over again by deciding they don’t believe her story. Why would someone make up such a hideous event?

  2. Al says:

    Would like to know, because it certainly didn’t come to light in this section of the news, what made the jury come to a NOT GUILTY conclusion. Also, why did this guy have to wait nine years in jail before his trial came up? Was it a case of “lock him up and throw away the key?” isn’t this also an injustice against him?

  3. Concerned says:

    Well believe me they have the guts to do that and lie just to hurt others and not see them happy. But as the sayings says what you do here you pay here and justice is serve in the end.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*