Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Featured, Health, People & Places » Who is responsible for mess at old San Ignacio Hospital?
Aug 8, 2013

Who is responsible for mess at old San Ignacio Hospital?

Western Regional Health Manager Pearl Ellis has assured News Five that the situation at the old site of the San Ignacio Hospital has been cleared up. The shocking images of vials filled with blood, used needles and syringes, discarded vials of medicine have caused great concern in the Ministry of Health. That concern is certainly merited, but there is still no official word on that medical waste could have been so carelessly left behind. And there likely won’t be, pending an investigation which we are assured is underway. One medical practitioner, who is a crusader for better health care in the country, says he isn’t satisfied with the response of the Ministry of Health. He says they have been downplaying the risk to the public of the fluids and needles left behind.

 

Marco Tulio Mendez, Pediatrician

Marco Tulio Mendez

“The negligence that is being seen is out of proportion. I mean these bio-hazardous products just in plain open compounds like how you showed us. Man, it is horrible. It is definitely as the Chief of Staff at the San Ignacio Hospital stated, everybody that goes into that compound, into that area, is pre-exposed, to be contaminated. These things could have bacteria, a virus… I mean and I am assuming that there are drug addicts that use that compound. We are talking about syringes…they can be contaminated. I mean there can be an increase in HIV, hepatitis C, hepatitis B, tuberculosis, dengue; I mean so many other diseases. Of course I am not saying there is HIV, but let’s be clear in mind, Belize had an increase of ten percent in HIV just last year. We are the number in incidence rate of HIV in Central America. We are second place in HIV from Canada down to Argentina…second place. So those are things that we need to be very careful and try to prevent exposing our people. All those people that went into that compound, they are supposed to be checked for those diseases. It is amazing how the Ministry of Health is conducting itself presently and not taking care of our people.”

 

As we showed you when we broke the story, there are two schools and a playground in the immediate area of the deserted compound. We also found discarded syringe wrappers in the yard near the gate to the compound.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “Who is responsible for mess at old San Ignacio Hospital?”

  1. mistress92 says:

    There is no excuse for such negligence. there should be protocols that must be followed if there is a transfer of location. Someone didn’t bother or didn’t have the initiative to make that nothing was left behind in the old building.

  2. Kaila Moralez says:

    Putting an individual that is an electrician by profession to be a minister of health what do we expect he will run it like any electrician, run the hospital like when you do electrical procedure improvising scotch tape for electrical tape. You know how electrician leave pieces of wire, screw careless when they finish a job well Pablo Marin is an electrician by profession and is running the hospital as such and employs people who works just like electricians.

  3. Marg says:

    POOR MANAGEMENT AT SAN IGNACIO INDEED!! DOES ANYONE (ceo OR minister) AT MINISTRY CARE?

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*