Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured, People & Places » Toddler perishes in house fire
Feb 4, 2013

Toddler perishes in house fire

Danely Cabrera

A fire in the village of San Narciso ended tragically for the Cabrera family. The inferno erupted around four o’clock this morning and aside from gutting the entire wooden structure, there was loss of innocent life.  A three year old could not be rescued when the fire ravaged through the house; her charred body was found under her crib. News Five’s Jose Sanchez reports.

 

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

An early morning fire in San Narcisio Village claimed the life of three year old Danely Cabrera. Inside the house were Cabrera and her mother, Ramona.  The only visible items: the mattress spring, and the gas tank provided clues as to how the fire got out of control. But at four in the morning their neighbor and babysitter heard the commotion.

 

Babysitter of Danely Cabrera

“Well I would say the fire started a little before four a.m. this morning. I came running because she was outside screaming for help but it was impossible for any of us to go in because there was just too much fire. She wanted my son to go in but I told him no because it was too dangerous.”

 

Francis Thomas

Lieutenant Colonel Francis Thomas, Fire Chief

“We received the call about four- twenty, four-thirty so this morning. we responded to the call in San Narciso; it’s about twelve miles from where we are located here in Corozal. On arriving there, we found the fourteen by eighteen building already fully engulfed in fire—it was already in its final stage. So we quickly did the final extinguishment and made a search where we found the body of Danely Cabrera already perished in the fire.”

 

In this cell phone video only a month ago, Ramona can be seen having fun at her child’s birthday party. According to her sister, Ramona had to be taken to the Corozal Community Hospital because of severe burns.

 

Avelina Cabrera

Avelina Cabrera, Sister of Ramona Cabrera

“All of her face, her mouth is swollen. Her back and her arm are burnt. She cannot even eat.”

 

Lt. Col. Francis Thomas

“We believe fire started that the fire started as a result of a candle that was left near the mattress inside the zinc house. That led to that fire and we believe that after speaking to the mother of Danely, we believe that when she realized that the mattress was on fire, she tried to take the mattress outside of the house—leaving the child inside.  By the time she realized that the child was inside, she was unable to take the child outside the house.”

 

Jose Sanchez

“Did the gas tank itself become engulfed in flames; did it explode?”

 

Lt. Col. Francis Thomas

“Umm, we found that the gas tank, the plastic hose—in her effort to try and take out the mattress, we believe that the mattress ended up—because the house is so small—on the gas tank melting the hose; causing that increased flame which prevented her from recovering the child from inside the room.”

 

The charred crib, a vision of horror for the family and friends who now hope that Ramona’s emotional scars would also heal. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

 

Ramona remains hospitalized at the Corozal Community Hospital with first and second degree burns to the body.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

8 Responses for “Toddler perishes in house fire”

  1. Henry says:

    Heart wrenching.. RIP Danely. God bless and comfort the family.

  2. Storm says:

    RIP, indeed. My prayers are for her soul and to help the family heal from their loss.

    At the same time, it is a shame that in this 21st century, here in a country with tremendously unequal distribution of wealth, there are families living without electricity, who must use dangerous candles for light. Reform of our system is overdue.

  3. Eye in the Sky says:

    Belizean afraid to sleep in the dark and that is why this thing happens so often. Turn off the candle and go sleep, no monsters are going to get you.

  4. roska says:

    yap heart wrenching… but the mother was seen drinking heavily the night before the blaze…..

    perhaps that answers why she did not get the baby out first before she abandoned the burning house…!!!

    single motherhood and alcohol…. a deadly combination…

  5. Belizean Pride says:

    R.I.P little angel and God help this family in this sad episode but we parents need to be more alert as what we do for the safety of our families regardless the economic status. priority is safety measure and that might have cause a tragedy like this one.

  6. ProudBzean says:

    My first instinct would be to get up, grab my baby and run. Find it strange that she would take the mattress out of the room and towards the kitchen. Get out, it’s a fire….
    Poor angel…RIP

  7. James says:

    What a cruel way for an angel to die. How sad that so many people still live at home without electricity and the Government uses BEL AND BTL money for wasting on campaigns. We are truly a “third world” country.

  8. driver says:

    da sin i agree with proudbzean i mi wa grab baby first my li gail sleep with me n my wife i mi wa dead d try save my baby god bless d baby but da di ma fault

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*