Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Environment, Featured » Third batch of rosewood confiscated in 24 hours
Jan 17, 2013

Third batch of rosewood confiscated in 24 hours

Wilbur Sabido

There is yet another bust that took place on Tuesday in the Independence area. It happened at farm twelve near the village of San Pablo which is located about fifteen miles from the Swasey Bridge. Forestry and BDF personnel conducted an operation over the past weekend and found the illegal cargo last Sunday evening. The MO is that the rosewood is transported to the farm and then shipped out at night. The patrol found clear signs of destructions of the forest left behind in the movement of the rosewood.

 

Via Phone: Wilbur Sabido

“We did receive last week Saturday that there was material in the Independence Area as an area referred to us as Farm twelve. Along with police we went, we checked to see if that was indeed the case and we found a tractor and trailer with rosewood material in it. We didn’t find anybody in the area so we transported the tractor and trailer to the Mango Creek Police Station where it is at. At this point we are waiting for the owners to declare themselves so that we can start building a case in terms of asking the relevant questions of how it is that the material ended up on the trailer and why the tractor was in the area; those sort of things. But at this point, we only have the equipment and the material.  I wouldn’t know who is doing the illegal harvesting. In terms of legal harvesting, we do have the Maya Mountain North presently under management by the company, but they are there as a recognized entity by us. But the material wasn’t found in that area, it was found a distance away. So in effect it is an illegal act.”

 

This particular bust yielded over forty flitches of rosewood. So, in the past five days there have been five busts of rosewood but the most dramatic and largest was on January ninth, when the minister of forestry in frustration set the confiscated flitches ablaze.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

4 Responses for “Third batch of rosewood confiscated in 24 hours”

  1. Storm says:

    Someone controls and operates the property, if they don’t come forward, go get them. I’d say the refusal to come forward is a pretty good indication of guilt — maybe not in a court of law, but in the court of commonsense and reality.

  2. NY says:

    Wow! Bze is really a third world country after all. I thought that by now, the GOB would have been sophisticated enough as to register all the vehicles in the country, including
    all heavy equipments. This way when police encounters these issues of abandoned vehicles, all they have to do is trace the registration to discover who the owner is. And the GOB is desperately in need of a way to trace calls in the country. We have seen many instances where threats have been made via phones, and the police department seems clueless as to how to solve them, The country needs to get into the 21st century!!!!!

  3. Retired CEO says:

    Apparently, Minister Alamilla has openned a can of worms or pandoras box/closet.

  4. We can do better says:

    Yes we need to find ways to get extra money. I think selling the rosewood will be better. We already owe a lot of money (supabond),our public officers and Teachers work very hard and so deserve a raise in their salary. Can we pls stop wasting money liasing with the GSG and make better use of the little we have!

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*