Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » Elderly man injured in fire on Marigold Lane
Jan 15, 2013

Elderly man injured in fire on Marigold Lane

The other fire started about six hours later in Belize City. A senior citizen, living alone at a house on Marigold Street, was injured when the fire erupted at his wooden house. Eaworth Leslie attempted to put out the blaze even before fire fighters could respond to calls from alert neighbors. He received second degree burns and was taken to the hospital for treatment.  Duane Moody also reports on the Marigold Street fire.

 

Duane Moody, Reporting

Just before seven this morning, seventy-four year old Eaworth Leslie was inside his home on Marigold Lane in the Lake Independence Area when a fire broke. Firefighters responded quickly to the distress call made by neighbors and contained the blaze.

 

Benisford Matura, Operation Officer, National Fire Service

“Approximately six-fifty this morning, we got a call of a fire at Marigold Lane in the Lake Independence Area. Upon respond we found a cement bungalow engulfed in flames; smoke puffing from through the roof. We got into operation and within five minutes we got it under control and ten minutes after totally extinguished with all the spot fires.”

 

Leslie’s neighbor and relative, Jean Oliver, says that her daughter alerted her about the fire and that she is stunned by the incident.

 

Jean Olivera, Relative to Fire Victim

“I got up good while before and after that my daughter said mommy, you noh gwen out fi find out weh happen to Mister—because like I tell you we related. But I just get shake up to mi damn self because it’s sudden. I always say on Sunday I cook and ih get wah plate ah food from me.”

 

The fire started while Leslie was apparently making breakfast. Investigations reveal that the fire started after a lit candle was knocked over. Leslie received second degree burns to the hand, shoulder and back. He was rushed to the K.H.M.H. for medical attention.

 

Benisford Matura

“He had no power to the residence so he had candles and this morning he had candles lit on the floor and apparently he bumped it and it fell over and caught some paper that was on the floor and the fire spread quickly. He attempted to out it, but could not and so the fire spread and engulfed the house.”

 

Duane Moody

“I understand that he got burned during the process. Tell us how that happened?”

 

Benisford Matura

“When he was conscious that the stuff was on fire, he attempted to out it on his own and could not and he got burnt on his arm shoulder and back.”

 

Operation Officer at the National Fire Service, Benisford Matura, says that resident should never attempt to put out a fire, but to call the department.

 

Benisford Matura

“When you do have fires like this, the best thing is to call the fire department immediately instead of trying to out the fire on your own and when you fail; that is when you decide to call the fire department because then it will be too late.”

 

Leslie is currently admitted at the K.H.M.H. in stable condition. Duane Moody for News Five.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

1 Response for “Elderly man injured in fire on Marigold Lane”

  1. Storm says:

    It’s something of a national embarrassment that so many Belizeans must live without electricity in the 21st century. That’s another problem that raising the rates 16.87% will only make worse. developing a national program for more and more affordable electricity should be a national priority!

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*