Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Disasters, Featured » NEMO prepared, PM offers help in case of hurricane
Aug 7, 2012

NEMO prepared, PM offers help in case of hurricane

Dean Barrow

While that issue would have been the first story on the newscast on any other day, the country is watching Hurricane Ernesto. News Five Jose Sanchez also spoke to the PM about the possibility of a disaster and if the administration is prepared to help those who may affected. Like most citizens across the country, the PM said that he has tuned in to the television newscasts and the radio shows throughout the day. He said that he is extremely encouraged by the NEMO functionaries in districts. From his assessment it appears that the NEMO is very prepared for the coming storm.

 

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

“It then makes me feel that I ought to start by congratulating all those that are involved in the preparation, tracking, monitoring exercise. So let me begin by offering my commendations to all those involved. In terms of the storm itself, of course like all Belizeans I’m praying that we will be spared and it is beginning to look encouragingly as though that is what will happen. Certainly, the eye of the storm it appears will not make landfall anywhere in Belize although close enough to Corozal for us still to be worried. Being happy that all NEMO preparations seem to be well in place is one thing, telling people that a lot of this depends on them, on individuals staying alert and being prepared to move when they are supposed to is also I think very important. And finally, letting people know that if indeed things worsen, if indeed the damage can in any event be expected from flooding, from the heavy rains that we’re sure to get is worse than might have been anticipated, naturally the government commits to doing all that is necessary to help people in that situation to recover in terms of getting lives back together. I don’t want to be melodramatic; we are hoping for best but clearly we naturally have to prepare for less than the best because that’s the way things can go.”

 

Jose Sanchez

“One of the possibilities as with the last storm was that houses in low-lying areas such as Belize City are old, uninsured and the slightest wind can cause them to fall. That was a major problem with the last storm that we had. Can the government help in case families may be without?

 

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

“Well, as I just said to you Jose, that was the third point I tried to make and I did this to offer the reassurance that is necessary. Because last I checked, in fact I just got a text from Noreen Fairweather saying that the hurricane warnings have been lifted from the south for southern Belize, replaced by tropical storm warnings, but hurricane warnings continue to be in place for Belize City going north. But if the way the storm seems to be tracking north, north west, if that path continues to be the trajectory then hopefully we won’t have to worry about even tropical storm force winds affecting these wooden houses on stilts here in Belize City and indeed other parts of the country, particularly in the north. But if people clearly have their houses blown down as a consequence of the hurricane, government will do everything in its power to assist.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

2 Responses for “NEMO prepared, PM offers help in case of hurricane”

  1. Rod says:

    Incompetent twit.

  2. Young Gial says:

    Mr. Prime Minister, last year when houses were destroyed the Minister of Police, Doug Singh promised the police officers that were affected that they will be assisted financialy to repair damages once an assessment is submitted. But these officers who put in their claims didn’t receive any help, they work during the storm and leave their own family to go figure and when their homes are destroyed they are forgotten. Police officers cannot secure their own homes because they are called on duty and the government not even give thanks nor help when they need it most. Oh and everyone must know that the transfer grant that was promised and put in black and white, not even happen yet. Many officers after two years have not seen anything from that transfer grant. Mr. Priminister where is the transfer grant assistance and damage assistance that was promised to these hard working police man. See why they get discouraged, because they lie and abuse them….

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*