Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » He paid his insurance premium, but can’t collect his claim
May 4, 2012

He paid his insurance premium, but can’t collect his claim

Dion Martinez

There are many insurance claims that people say are taking too long to honor by their agent. Last year, the regional winner of the Unsung Hero program was unable to receive his claim after his vehicle was totaled. A local businessman with a similar story said he has done everything, including winning a case in court that should have allowed him to receive some sort of restitution, but his insurance company has still not paid up.

Dion Martinez, Cousin of Ernesto Tillett

“Recently down the road, my cousin got into an accident and what happen is that every since ih get ina the accident, the vehicle flipped and it is under a coverage from RF&G—a coverage that go as far as paying up to a hundred thousand dollars pending certain damages and the classification of the accident. I believe RF&G is being quite unreasonable because ih noh have the money to say invest in a lawyer so that he can get his money. So I just come talk on behalf of my family because I see it as a very biased thing no. He went to court; he won the case and there is still an up and down and there is a lapse and time frame for him to get his money. I can’t see why this lapse is there; this delay is there. At this point in time, I am telling my family to seek legal advice—have his lawyer send RF&G a letter.”

Be Sociable, Share!

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

8 Responses for “He paid his insurance premium, but can’t collect his claim”

1. Eye in the Sky says:

ALL insurance companies are crooks. Tek your money and almost never help you. The government should investigate and not take bribes from these crooked companies.

2. Storm says:

This seems like an easy problem to solve: An insurance company that acts in bad faith and does not pay claims in a timely fashion must simply LOSE ITS LICENCE. They are regulated by the government, and with good reason, to protect the public FROM FRAUDS LIKE THIS ONE APPEARS TO BE.

It is an easy matter to find insurance regulations in other countries to adapt, if we cannot quickly draft our own.

If these allegations are proved to be true, GOB should make a harsh example of this company, which apparently has victimised its customers.

3. ELNMX says:

Belize again! why my Belize…….. the traffic officers harass you all the time bout license and insurance instead a them try help them people them that got int ans accident and trying to get aid in fixing their vehicle the traffic department should be looking into these cases. instead of wasting tax payers money chasing and harassing the bus driver and other people.

A friend of mine was crashed into by a drunk driver and totaled his pickup police found the guy and let him go up to now he hasn’t gotten a cent towards anything the police the traffic department, insurance everything useless just their to take away our hard earned money why we paying insurance if it doesn’t cover anything?

4. HELLO says:

who owns the biggest and fanciest buildings in the city, insurance companies!!!collect collect , and no pay!!!

5. Proud-bzean says:

Their is an office of the Supervisor of Insurance in the Ministry of Finance in Belmopan headed by Ms Alma Gomez. She is very helpful and will see justice through.

6. JESSEJAMES says:

In my opinion, i don’t think that Belizeans should be forced to buy insurance..becuz insurance companies don’t live up to their standards. When u get into an accident they don’t want to pay. So i believe that the government should regulate the laws and make insurance not a must to have. You buy insurance if you want to.

7. belizeanpride says:

for the same reason I quit buying insurance at ICB because they we’re playing around the same way now I change and thanks God haven’t had any mishap to seek help from my new insurance agent. But ICB was a waste of time never again same way they treat people to make you spin and give you the payment when they feel.

8. Proud-bzean says:

JesseJames, I feel likewise with the Social Security. They are a waste of time and a rip off to poor people.