Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured, Miscellaneous » Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid
May 2, 2012

Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid

John McAfee is the founder of McAfee Antivirus has been a philanthropist and investor in Belize. How rich is McAfee? We’re not sure, but rich enough to donate a vessel worth one point two million dollars to the Belize Coastguard in January 2009. McAfee lives in Belize and he says that he has become a target of the Gang Suppression Unit. He says the GSU came busting into his research facility in Orange Walk, killed his dog, took his passport, handcuffed him and arrested him on a bogus weapons charge. McAfee says he’s a victim because he didn’t donate money to a known U.D.P. Orange Walk politician.

John McAfee, Claims False Imprisonment by GSU

John McAfe

“On Monday at six o’clock, I was awakened by the sound of a bullhorn, a megaphone. I went outside and saw about thirty GSU in full uniform, full dressed, automatic weapons, storming through the property and drive way. I went back inside, got some clothes on, I came out. I was told to put up my hands up against the wall as was eleven other people on the compound. We had about eleven people present at the time—five of them were women. I was told that they had a warrant to search property. They began, with sledge hammers, to break the doors of the buildings—none of them were locked, but they just went and broke them in any case. I was merely watching this. They confiscated my passport, all of the weapons we used for security on the compound, handcuffed me and everyone and for fourteen hours outside in the sun, I sat handcuffed without food or water. We got water around noon. At three o’clock we asked for food. We were told by the GSU, do we look like cooks to you. They murdered my dog in cold blood. That was the thing I think—it was a warning to us that this is serious; don’t mess with us. They threw things around, they stole things—it was unbelievable, unimaginable for a country that was supposedly a democratic country. I was arrested on a bogus charge of having an illegal firearm—a firearm without a license. At the very beginning of the day, one of the GSU soldiers, one of the GSU officers, took all of my firearm licenses and put them in his vest. When he took them out to check the firearms, this one was missing. They charged me for having a firearm without a license; took me to Belize City. Fortunately we had copies. We showed up later at the police station with the copies. Even then it was difficult to get out. I had to get the intervention of the American embassy to get released. By the time I got to Belize, it was sixteen hours. I slept until two a.m. on a concrete floor at the Queen’s Street Police Station until the embassy finally convinced someone to release me. They confiscated my passport and claimed they didn’t have it. The entire day was an incredible nightmare. This is clearly a military dictatorship where people are allowed to go and harass citizens based on rumor alone and treat them as if they are guilty before any evidence whatsoever is obtained. It is astonishing, it is beyond belief and I intended not to let this stand. I will not stand idly by to let this happen to me. I promise you. It began, innocently enough, with my refusal to donate to the local political boss of the district where I lvied in Orange Walk and I have given at least two million dollars in gifts to the police departments in Orange Walk, San Pedro, Belize City, to the village of Carmelita, the City of Orange Walk. I have started programs to feed children, I’ve helped mothers whose husbands have simply disappeared. I am an old man, I am sixty-six. I have a fair amount of money and not much to do. So I spend it where I think it will do go. And I don’t ever invest in politics. I don’t donate to any political party; I don’t have any political affiliations. I think politics is foolish for a private citizen like myself to engage in—the winning party; you never get your money and the losing party; your on the outs. So I do not. And I refused to donate and the gentleman expected you know, I’ve given a million dollars to the police department, so he should get a huge chunk and he got nothing. Immediately after that, he began—not personality but his aids—began a campaign of calling to the local radio stations on Saturday morning talk shows saying the same thing; “What are we going to do about the white man at the toll bridge? He has all of these security guards. He’s probably involved in illegal activities. Everybody is complaining about him.”   Nothing could be further from the truth. That politician by the way did not get reelected.”

McAfee says he’s seeking legal advice.

Be Sociable, Share!

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

110 Responses for “Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid”

1. GoneGlobal says:

This news has gone global, the world is now watching !

2. Brian says:

Roska: More money = more freedom anywhere in the world, baby. Belize, Mexico, USA, Russia, it doesn’t matter. If you’ re rich enough, you can get away with murder, that’s been proven time and again–even in the first world’s nations. Hell, if you’re rich enough, you send the country’s soldiers out to do the murdering for you.

I have to laugh though… You actually think your *criminals* get gun licenses? You think criminals want to be on the government’s books when there are plenty of undocumented guns out there in Central America? Why would criminals worry about violating your registration/licensing system? They gonna get in more trouble for having an illegal gun than they are for shooting someone with it, are they?

I’m a private citizen who has as much firepower represented in his bedroom closet as what is pictured in the photos, no less that which normally resides in the gun safe. Why? Because I can. I also have more cars than I can drive at once. That probably also makes me a bad person, right?

If your shop-keeps can’t get their licenses, maybe the answer is not to blame the wealthy expat, but to liberalize your laws.

3. slu says:

Sounds bad. Of some interest is that John got himself run off the Hawaiian island of Molokai not too long ago. He came in and started an anti-drug campaign including full page adds with pictures of neighborhoods where drug transactions were going on. Next thing you knew, the local activists were all over his case to the point that he had to auction off all his property here, including a nearly finished beach house and a much larger parcel. He never lived in the beach house and it sold at auction at a serious loss. He seems to be not much of a people person and has a talent for pissing off the wrong guys.

4. KeishaCas says:

It is crazy how things like this happen in belize about politics….the government need to worry about the damn poor people and educating the younger generation. It gives all us belizean a bad name, instead of the cleaning up the streets with there own people killing each other and those crooked ass cops, who arent any better, all the belizeans keep doing is voting the same damn people in office, who continue to rob the poor people blind.

5. island guy says:

seriously GSU they are rough but they have us living a lil better come on. human rights do any criminal worry bout human rights we need GSU this jus goes to show belize is not mexico or any petty country where u ca come donate some money an do as u pls luckily it was a 17 yr old girl he probabl sent home the 15 yr old the day before u kno how much of these guys live in belize doing as they pls using the little girls back to the GSU everyone hates them but hate the crime i applaud the officer who done young he did belize a favor while costing his career he made a life choice

6. good guy says:

yeah we are just dumb belizean u can come here donate money then do as u pls make drugs use our women and girls or kids and get away with it cause u donate u all have been using the donatin excuse for too long

7. John Galt says:

Firearm licenses? One for each firearm! Insane!!! EVERYONE has the right to self defense. A right can not be licensed. Therefore firearms licenses themselves are immoral and illegal. Someone needs to do something!

8. John Galt says:

Firearm licenses? Insane! Self defense is a right of EVERY PERSON! Firearm licenses are themselves immoral and illegal! Do something!

9. Ted says:

The U.S. in twenty years…

10. joe blow says:

We were actually considering visiting belize this summer. Not any more. The government is way too criminal.

11. john sumisu says:

Oh, the woes of being rich and being treated like a poor slob, like the rest of us!

12. Robert says:

What the hell are you still doing there?

Look at what happened to the white farmers in Zimbabwe.

Dude get you $#!% and get out now before they turn up again and do something worse.

There’s plenty of cool places in the world to live if you have money that are stable and nice, try the italian riviera, monte Carlo or lake combo areas. All Europe, all safe!!!

13. Pat Grey says:

Move back to the US, pay some taxes here and you can live under US law. You’re an ex-patriot now, Find a lawyer down there and deal with their system.

14. RichTheEngineer says:

As an American, I would just like to say that it will be a cold day in Hell before I, or any members of my family, come to Belize. Not if you are going to behave like a bunch of bullies and criminals. I hope your damn island sinks into the ocean along with all the barbaric thugs you people keep “electing” to office. If you can’t control the thugs running around your island, don’t expect the rest of the world to help you.

15. Clint says:

…And this is different from how things happen in America how?

16. CR says:

I’ve always fantasized about taking my money out of the US and moving somewhere beautiful like Belize. However, those fantasies are quickly overcome by rational thinking when I remember all 3rd world countries are 3rd world countries for a reason. They all have major corruption within their governments.

I certainly don’t enjoy visiting Mexico or Central America anymore. The poverty and corruption within these areas is an enormous turn off.

There are far too many beautiful places to vacation rather than patronize these 3rd world dumps.

If American’s stop spending their money in these countries maybe the citizens will rise up and stop these corrupt politicians from entering office.

Cr

17. Mover says:

Recall Microsoft’s anti-trust law suit a few years ago (originally in 1993, dropped in 1994, and then renewed in 1998). Some say they didn’t give money to political campaigns either. After years of fighting in the courts, MS supposedly began donating and all of a sudden the suits were settled. This happened under the Clinton regime. http://tinyurl.com/9wdz4

18. F. P. Lele says:

This is the kind of stuff that will monger Belizian tourism for decades. I hope Mr. McAfee is amassing a pile of files on these clowns. This is bad.

19. Christian_X says:

Belize definitely won’t make the top 10 retirement destinations at this rate. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-worlds-top-10-retirement-havens-2012-01-19#

20. Fredco says:

@ RichTheEngineer

Belize isn’t an island.

21. FranktheTank says:

Hey @Richthignorant, if you would know anything about about Belize you would see that its not an ISLAND. Your ignorant to the fact that this happens in America everyday. Belize is beautiful and I’m glad ignorant people like will stay away from such beauty. The people there elect there officials as do you, this officials take power and corrupt themselves as does happen in America. Please think about what you say and don’t sound like a mindless imbecile. Not everywhere is America, stay in your state. I’ll explore the world and take in what it has to offer.

22. Anon says:

Well we don’t know what he does besides making money off infected computers. I mean, man, McAffee had a great idea, was really in to it in the beginning, but nowadays it sucks. Could be anything this guy with this intelligence is doing. Maybe selling 0days to the wrong people. Always view both sides, just saying.

23. arglah says:

you really think you can move anywhere without paying what I call “local tax” ? In Sicily its called Pizzo, everywhere its the same…and you are surprised? Wake up!

24. JohnInCanada says:

So sorry to see corrupt local politicians ruin their own nation’s reputation. Tourism can make such a difference in advancing the local economy and improving the lives of people who really need help.
    When I see stories like this, it makes me reconsider traveling to Belize. I had been planning an extended trip there with my family next year. I don’t want to put them at risk.
    Police and political corruption appear to be the accepted way of life in Belize, judging by many of comments here, which seem to blame Mr. McAfee for the whole problem.
    That’s really sad for the people of such a beautiful nation.

25. JohnInCanada says:

Arglah: “everywhere its the same…and you are surprised? Wake up!”
    Everywhere? I have moved to many places, and have never paid what you call “local tax”, and I’m still alive and very happy. In Sicily, it may be called Pizzo, but “everywhere” else, it’s called “slimy”.
    Why does it mean someone is “surprised” when they find that behavior abhorrent? Why do we need to “wake up”? I feel very awake, and I don’t like what I see in places like Belize.

26. cmholm says:

Responding to @slu’s comment: John McAfee’s problems on Molokai had nothing to do with exposing drug use, and everything to do with making little effort to fit into the small island community. On the one hand, he donated money to community groups. But, his name became mud when he threw food at a market clerk to get his attention. While cashing out of Molokai, he tried to pump up the price for an undeveloped property with a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal, and became local public enemy #1. In essence, John was “run off the island” one stink-eye at a time.

However, the Maui County PD never busted down his door for not making the “right” community contributions. Different places, different ways.

27. arglah says:

@john in Canada. What I call “local tax” is a general expense that can be caused by local laws, corrupt officials, civil lawsuits, anything that teaches you that there is no justice, just verdicts.
    If you move with your wealth to a poor country and incite jealousy by donating, you are asking for trouble anywhere…. I find it naive to think this wont happen if you stay out of politics.

28. ??? says:

First of all the GSU did wrong in behaving like the criminals they are supposed to be stopping. I’ve passed this place many times and seen the guards heavily armed, and anyone with a little imagination will think that something fishy is going on here, not even the banks and embassies have so much security here in belize. Im glad when some of you misinformed foreigners say you will not retire and come live in belize, why dont you stay in your own country, is it because you dont want to pay your taxes, if you really want to do something for charity do it anonimously, giving away money and expecting to be protected by the police forever is wrong. and what about this research facility? what are you researching, does any of those buildings look like a proper research facilty? these foreigners only complain when they give out mordidas and dont get anything back in return, they dont complain when they bribe officials and get what they want.

29. Andrea says:

What a crap 3rd word hellhole .. Never visiting, rot in hell

30. Enzo says:

If you live in Belize fine, but there’s no way I would relocate there. Especially considering all of the other nice places that exist in the world. If you move to a third world country, third world stuff happens to you.

31. Angry American says:

They make people disappear in the US today too.

There was a computer programmer they tortured to death and then told his wife and kids he had run away with some other woman.

Turns out – he just had the same name as a guy they were looking for.

Whoops!

BTW – you can’t sue the feds for wrongful death anymore – because then the terrorists would win!

32. You might be a redneck... says:

Wow. What a smart bunch we have posting here. To all you folks who have declared their disdain for Belize without ever having visited, thank you for not buying that plane ticket. We’re much better off without you here. That there is corruption in our ’3rd World’ government is undeniable. But every time I think that the situation here is a mess, I need only take a look at the situation in the US. Corruption? The US is utterly unmatched in terms of the sheer scale of government ‘irregularities’. So sit down on your couch, tune into FOX news, and don’t leave your house. It’s not safe outside. .

33. Patty Amas says:

Maybe the GSU had a virus that McAfee could not detect.
    Sad they killed his dog… I am a firm believer in retribution of McAfee against these dopes. Kill their dogs and then disappear.

34. Mombatu says:

A rich white guy with millions of dollars decides to live in Belize, where even the local politicians live in houses made of conch shells and cement, and is shocked, shocked I tell you, when one of them acts like a third world dictator and sends some thugs to do a little hassling for money. What did the naive man expect?

35. Nom says:

@CR: LOL, do you think the US isn’t corrupt? Which planet are you living? So-called 3rd world countries are 3rd world countries because corrupt politicians and business people in the 1st world steal the resources of the 3rd world. Actually, you should use your brain, it has been given to you to do so..

36. Gary Brindle says:

Very sad to read this has happened in Belize. I visited for 6 months in 1981 and had great hopes for the people. This news has spread across the world ,it will damage the country for tourism and investment. The Police public relations team need to issue a statement to explain what went wrong.

37. hessler says:

Meh.

Scratch Belize.

If I want to vacation in a thugocracy I’ll go to Chicago. I can catch the Sox and chow down on some deep dish pizza. Yum.

38. David Kessler says:

Do “Good guy” and the semi-literate “Island guy” have any proof of their libelous accusations?

39. Amish says:

According to Wikipedia McAfee was raided for mfg some new health product.

40. Andy Buckram says:

I’m guessing Mr. MacAfee was too busy calming his 17 year old Belizean girlfriend’s nerves* to be expected to get all of the facts straight.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee

41. Leslie Satenstein says:

In most countries (99.5% of them), you do not have the right to bear arms. The result of this is reduced serious crime, and a very much reduced level of shootings and intentional and accidental deaths.

42. kain says:

I luv my country and I love what I do! Stay out of trouble and it won’t haunt you! Stay out of politics and away from shady activity and enjoy a beautiful Jewel! I have never been arrested and never been hairassed by any Officials. Choose your lifestyle and be happy with the consequences,

43. Mary says:

Hey, if you want to live in a banana republic south of the border, you ought to expect this. You’ve left the USA, you don’t want to pay US workers fair wages, now sit and stew in the filth you’ve embraced in Belize

44. Tourist #11563 says:

I would hope that the knee jerk reactionary types would stay away from Belize (or any other place I decide to visit on vacation). Just because the local government has its issues doesn’t mean that the population as a whole is corrupt. I’m from the USA and don’t see any real difference in corruption here than I do at home. Power corrupts no matter where you are. Seems to be a universal truth when dealing with government. EVERY single person I have had the pleasure to meet here in Belize has been genuinely nice, helpful and honest. They are happy to help with anything (and I’m not talking just about the staff at resorts). Even the pan handlers are nice when you turn them down. Something I’ve yet to see in Cancun. So go ahead and stay home with “your government having your best interests at heart” (sarcasm if you couldn’t tell), I’ll go visit Belize again.

45. Robert Stockmann says:

“the local Gang Suppression Unit issues a press release accusing him a unlicensed drug manufacturing and unlicensed weapon possession.”

How about revoking the McAfee licenses of the GSU department, and
    notify the keyboard driven community about IT Security troubles in the GSU.

46. Howard Schmidt says:

Which is worse, a global terrorist sponsor who designed the exploits used by major organized crime and terrorism, or the local cartel thugs typical of that imperial slum?

47. Hassan says:

that is how u people interpret guest right? u take his money, but if it is not enough to save urself from honest work u invent stuff in order to take his money neway? and here i thought a country whith certain experiences in racism and slavery, wouldbe better than that. instead u try to blame mcaffee for ur self inflicted poverty and corruption. sweet, i hope that mcaffee learns something valuable from this. that there is a reason why clever people never leave the first world. it is called common sense and justice!

48. Zach says:

I worked, very closely, for John McAfee for five years and he couldn’t be a nicer, more compassionate man. Is he driven and unrelenting in ideas he is enthusiastic about? Absolutely. Will he speak his mind, and possibly upset those around him, about issues he believes in? You can bet on it! What he is NOT is some megalomaniacal, James Bond-villain with a secluded fortress, as some of posts seem to make him out to be. All this guy has ever wanted to do is GOOD. Whether it’s for computers or the internet community (PowWow represent!…look it up) or it’s for discovering HEALING medication for the masses (antibiotics defined…look it up), all of this is GOOD.

All I know is that the only guns we ever shot on his property in Colorado were paintball guns. He also did not have a chain-linked fence around his place, with guard huts at the entrance. True, I know very little about living in Belize, but he must have had a damn good reason to have this kind of firepower handy. And from what others have posted here about the crime in Belize, I don’t think it was to prevent the authorities from looking at his herbs.

As far as the seventeen year-old (alleged) girlfriend, all I can say is that it’s a good thing Hugh Hefner doesn’t live in Belize. Hefner would be quivering in an American Embassy, begging for asylum, with the amount of (consenting adult) seventeen year-olds that have passed through the Playboy Mansion gates.

It’s easy to look from across the road at the rich guy’s house and wonder, “what’s he doing over there…with all his…riches”. Your imagination flying off the handle. But until you’ve had the opportunity to really try to get to know him, keep your fantastical opinions to yourself.

I know John McAfee. John McAfee is cool. John McAfee is good. He is not trying to hurt Belize.

49. Marlin says:

I fully agree with Zach !! John is a great guy, wouldnt hurt an ant, full of sane ideas, a true game changer, bright mind, a real asset to humanity !! On the contrary, these GSU personnell and their bosses are a bunch of idiots. They are actually hurting the country with their indiscriminate and shortsighted actions. Tourists and investors will now think twice before coming to Belize…..and who will suffer the most..??…..guess……the belizeans themselves.
    Dear John……leave them where they are……they don’t deserve you !!!