Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured, Miscellaneous » Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid
May 2, 2012

Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid

John McAfee is the founder of McAfee Antivirus has been a philanthropist and investor in Belize. How rich is McAfee? We’re not sure, but rich enough to donate a vessel worth one point two million dollars to the Belize Coastguard in January 2009. McAfee lives in Belize and he says that he has become a target of the Gang Suppression Unit. He says the GSU came busting into his research facility in Orange Walk, killed his dog, took his passport, handcuffed him and arrested him on a bogus weapons charge. McAfee says he’s a victim because he didn’t donate money to a known U.D.P. Orange Walk politician.

John McAfee, Claims False Imprisonment by GSU

John McAfe

“On Monday at six o’clock, I was awakened by the sound of a bullhorn, a megaphone. I went outside and saw about thirty GSU in full uniform, full dressed, automatic weapons, storming through the property and drive way. I went back inside, got some clothes on, I came out. I was told to put up my hands up against the wall as was eleven other people on the compound. We had about eleven people present at the time—five of them were women. I was told that they had a warrant to search property. They began, with sledge hammers, to break the doors of the buildings—none of them were locked, but they just went and broke them in any case. I was merely watching this. They confiscated my passport, all of the weapons we used for security on the compound, handcuffed me and everyone and for fourteen hours outside in the sun, I sat handcuffed without food or water. We got water around noon. At three o’clock we asked for food. We were told by the GSU, do we look like cooks to you. They murdered my dog in cold blood. That was the thing I think—it was a warning to us that this is serious; don’t mess with us. They threw things around, they stole things—it was unbelievable, unimaginable for a country that was supposedly a democratic country. I was arrested on a bogus charge of having an illegal firearm—a firearm without a license. At the very beginning of the day, one of the GSU soldiers, one of the GSU officers, took all of my firearm licenses and put them in his vest. When he took them out to check the firearms, this one was missing. They charged me for having a firearm without a license; took me to Belize City. Fortunately we had copies. We showed up later at the police station with the copies. Even then it was difficult to get out. I had to get the intervention of the American embassy to get released. By the time I got to Belize, it was sixteen hours. I slept until two a.m. on a concrete floor at the Queen’s Street Police Station until the embassy finally convinced someone to release me. They confiscated my passport and claimed they didn’t have it. The entire day was an incredible nightmare. This is clearly a military dictatorship where people are allowed to go and harass citizens based on rumor alone and treat them as if they are guilty before any evidence whatsoever is obtained. It is astonishing, it is beyond belief and I intended not to let this stand. I will not stand idly by to let this happen to me. I promise you. It began, innocently enough, with my refusal to donate to the local political boss of the district where I lvied in Orange Walk and I have given at least two million dollars in gifts to the police departments in Orange Walk, San Pedro, Belize City, to the village of Carmelita, the City of Orange Walk. I have started programs to feed children, I’ve helped mothers whose husbands have simply disappeared. I am an old man, I am sixty-six. I have a fair amount of money and not much to do. So I spend it where I think it will do go. And I don’t ever invest in politics. I don’t donate to any political party; I don’t have any political affiliations. I think politics is foolish for a private citizen like myself to engage in—the winning party; you never get your money and the losing party; your on the outs. So I do not. And I refused to donate and the gentleman expected you know, I’ve given a million dollars to the police department, so he should get a huge chunk and he got nothing. Immediately after that, he began—not personality but his aids—began a campaign of calling to the local radio stations on Saturday morning talk shows saying the same thing; “What are we going to do about the white man at the toll bridge? He has all of these security guards. He’s probably involved in illegal activities. Everybody is complaining about him.”   Nothing could be further from the truth. That politician by the way did not get reelected.”

McAfee says he’s seeking legal advice.

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

110 Responses for “Antivirus Founder, John McAfee, says politics caused GSU raid”

1. End Of Days says:

of course, Belizeans do not think we live in a dictatorship, cause deh get deh 20 bucks a week from the area rep, get a lee sheet a plywood, a lee quart a rum and thing set. This country has too much illiterate people, they simply do not have the mental capacity to see what is happening to them, and the few that does see it gets put in check by this military state.

2. Storm says:

I detect one key point of illogic in his version: if the dirty politician was not re-elected, why is GSU doing his bidding?

GSU needs to use its brains and discretion in deciding when and with whom to be heavy-handed, even thuggish. It’s not deserved in every case, and I suspect it is not deserved here. Police can easily turn popular sentiment against them when they abuse the good, silent majority.

3. easy glenn says:

Do you know what you did Belize. Dean Barrow and the UDP this is a message to you are u guys crazy this is one of the most powerful man in the World and he choose Belize as his homes let me say wow and if the Gsu can do him this way what makes you think that People from the US will come to Belize and Invest in this mess that you have created this is one of the biggest black eye to date he has the internet as his platform this will be heard all around the world within days Wow how can you allow this in a country that is suppose to be a democracy or is it WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS thinking please control those dogs you call the GSU they are for the gangs in the city now you let them run the country and Harrass the whole country How Unwise or as you would say it a nin cum poop decision DUMB the DUMB DUMB

4. I Belize it says:

Now showing in Belize: “Zimbabwe 2, Central American style”.

A round of applauds for the government of Belize.
    Great job! This will be good or attracting and keeping investors, your skills shows.

Destroyed the agriculture farmers and industry. Took over phones and electric. Top five in murders. Gangs run the street. Corruption runs the government. Illegal logging. Messing with Mayans in 2012.

Time for land seizures, and a political prison to hold people while their ransom is being paid.

On the next episode!!! see Francis Ford Coppola hand cuffed and dragged behind a bicycle in Placencia.

Encore, encore, hard core, the jewel is being crushed.

5. Belizean says:

Mr Barrow, can you please, on behalf of the GSU, do something about this? What do we Belizeans expect now? Tell me, how does Mr McAfee feel now? You think he will have any good impressions of Belize? Will he have good stories to tell to other Americans? This is destruction of foreign relationship!

6. SJ says:

The Belize Police just screwed up big time. If the people of Belize wanted a $#!% storm they just got it. This was the wrong guy to screw with. Belize as a whole just lost a very valuable resource, all because of corrupt politicians, corrupt police, and a people who seem to like and tolerate this kind of treatment by their elected officials across the board. The Belize police and people will lose as a whole because of a few corrupt Cops, and a bunch of corrupt politicians. The US Gov needs to step into this one and demand a a full investigation undertaken by an independent investigator. Human rights were clearly violated as were Belize laws themselves. I hope John sues the hell out of the Gov of Belize, the Belize police and the officers themselves who were involved. This should never happen to anyone in this country. It makes no difference if you are poor as dirt or rich as hell all should be treated the same. Commissioner you had better step up on this one…

7. Landy B says:

WOw! These darn politicians. I wonder which Orange Walkqueno is responsible for scaring foreign investment.

8. Usher "Let it Burns" says:

I guess that politician is really ticked off that he didn’t win.

9. Orlando Bloom says:

Wow all these things happening in Belize. i was about to leave Hollywood with the money i made in the Hobitt and Pirates of the Caribbean to invest in Belize. NOw i have to wonder about politics getting involved. Is there a history of poltics affecting businesses here?

10. Billy Gates says:

It’s a good thing i stayed on my yacht. The guide in Belize told me that it’s not the sharks in the water i have to worry about. It’s those ones that run the country. Circling my yacht, those Belizean politicians are like lawyers.

11. Islander says:

The GSU is very impressive at its job but letting politics dictate tactics is just messed up!

12. belizeanpride says:

very interesting and some info that now is well known about how our politicians act of vintage turns tables around, how embarrassing is for this guy to go through but really our laws are flaws and nothing will be done unless this guy makes a real sue for millions in damage and defamation to bring the GSU to sense and the politicians also. take a stand bro make it well know how politics affect the unaffiliated people as a target. make it a web scandal so we can have others watch the atrocities we Belizeans go through.

13. Orangewalkenio says:

this is so wrong. I hope Mr. Mcafee deals with these people. He has the resources. I have no problem with the GSU or whosoever raiding this man. The police has the authority to do it and they should whenever they suspect wrongdoing. My problem is the way they go about conducting these searches. They have a total disregard for procedure. They behave like thugs yet expect the country to behave civilized. I hope the leaders in our country can see through this. I hope they are mature enough. This is definitely not good for Belize. I hope this man doesnt hold it to hard and pack up and leave. He employs a number of Orange Walkenios and San Pedranos. Mada mein….dis GSU di really get out a hand. Remember police: Two wrongs dont make a right.

14. confusious says:

So because he is rich that makes him above the law, i am glad that something was done cause i use the northern highway everyday and figured something was wrong. Every time you look in the yard you would see arm guards. What are they securing? why does he need so many firearms? hard working Belizeans with businesses cant get one flipping gun to protect themselves but because a gringo came into the country he is privileged to have an armory. wake up belize.

15. Skywalker says:

So let me get this straight… This administration pays gang members, distribute passports freely to illiterate poor immigrants, but then gets police to brutalize rich foreigners who not only bring in foreign money, but also give millions of dollars to the country out of pure charity? As the Americans say, Barrow really has this thing @$$-backwards.

16. david says:

Yes it at started , this is dictatorship.

17. roska says:

looks like some americans truly believe that they have more rights in other countries than the citizens of that given country…. I wonder how many belizean businessmen have license for that type of arsenal that McAfee had for security purposes….??? I wonder if McAfee could have that priviledge if he were living in Mexico..??? Looks like money does make you “more equal” than others…. in Belize

I do understand he has to protect himself and his property especially in these times in Belize…. but I wonder if all that firepower was necessary if you are going to have only 2 secuirty guards on active duty at a given time…

I know that the regular belizean businessman has a very hard time getting a gun license for ONE or TWO firearms to legitimately protect himself… while hoodlums or suspected drug dealers (and wealthy foreigners) get easy gun licenses thanks to their “connections” to corrupt politicians and high ranking police officers…

Iam pro GSU but I guess that having GSU dealing with the general populace is dangerous…. are we forgetting what GSU stand for?? GANG suppresion unit!!! when GSU is sent after the common citizenry is like trying to shoot down a pesty bird with a missile!!!

18. belizeanamerican says:

i would pack up, and leave!

19. walkaton says:

It’s too late Belize the damage has been done on March 7th 2012. Now we have to wait another 5 years more of this dictatorship!

20. A Jew says:

This is a dictatorship indeed, how can anyone here in Belize or people looking from around the world ever call Belize a democracy. Belize is a failed Democracy where Politicians in the government control it with an iron fist.

21. Proud-bzean says:

John McCafee,

Sir, hurts to say it but, what are you still doing here? You can live anywhere in the world.

Its embarassing what these people do. They are supposed to act on Intelligence not information…very typical of them just as they did to the man in Belmopan.

22. The Doc says:

OK.. I agree, if you have all your stuff together, he should have not been hauled off… However, how quickly he blames politicians… Even the foreigners in Belize know to just blame the Government… McAfee, don’t threaten to leave, just leave… Let’s see where you end up next… And Belizeans, stop being afraid because unu no know… Hell, McAfee di look like get rich again because of our own jungle… den unu wah rail up bout di white man weh come and gone with unu natural resources…

23. David says:

The GSU is nothing but a front for the dirty war being waged on anyone and any entity that crosses the wrong way in front of this administration..No doubt it is funded and operates with tacit approval of the Prime Minister and the other helpful governments…those that lend or give millions to Belize for any reason they choose,,,NO MORE DEMOCRACY , NO MORE DUE PROCESS, NO MORE SYSTEM OF JUSTICE…..THEY STOLE THE JEWEL,…..SAD AND ANGRY>>>AN INSULT TO ALL BELIZE!!!!

24. fureal says:

aah please all unu people d feel sorry fu wa white man because of politics. Please use unu small minds for something else.

25. Sniper says:

this is the result of the mistake the great people of this small country Belize did on March 7th. We live in a dictatorship society right now!!! WHY? because of our ignorant, illiterate majority who accept a pack of bread, a chicken, a hundred dolla bill

26. Orangewalkenio says:

again, some of you(confusious, fureal, The Doc) are missing the point….the problem is not that he was raided….the problem is the WAY HE WAS raided. so come on ppl…You cant treat people like that.

27. Informa says:

Great minds discuss ideas;
    Average minds discuss events;
    Small minds discuss people.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Let’s talk about the white man and his licensed weapons instead of the Corrupt GSU, Animal Cruelty and Torture. Lets also forget the jobs these white men provide and the influx of foreign income we so desperately need. Lets forget all this and think of the $200 that one minister gave you and how far it has gotten you today. Black, White, Belizean/Hispanic, what matters is the amount of damage we have just suffered as a country based on the poor judgement of the small minded people with great authority…… We lack qualified people in every department. Take the blinders off BELIZE!

28. alley cat says:

I feel sorry for thr poor dog…

29. rose says:

Get out while you can. Run and never look back

30. Stephen says:

I bet that the commissioner know nothing about this, the GSU leader believe that he does not need to answer to the Compol. We should be more smart that just going around destroying people houses, of there is a questionable matter in illegal stuff please do the surveillance and make sure that you have enough to warrant a search, if this man need to do something illegal, he can purchase a chopper and build a house deep in the jungle within the valley and have the resources to protect it from police. We need to be more smart and do things in a respectable manner which is by the books. There is no need to kill dog or to break every doors so STUPID I believe the POLICE should pay for all the damages and compensate for the dog.

31. Belizean says:

GSU, what a shame.

32. fed up says:

I think the GSU is just a pack of untrained pitbulls waiting to attack and kill whatever they feel like. They are judge, jury, and executioner all rolled up into one. I fact, our police behave like judge jury and executioners. They shoot people in the back, lie and cover up each other and get away with murder all the time.
    Belizeans have to remember. The whole world is watching us. I feel awful whenever they call Belize the Jewel. Looks like we are far from being a jewel. Corruption is rampant in all areas and killing is a hobby.
    I am extremely afraid of our police who should be there to protect and serve. What if some one dislikes me and wants to take revenge? They would simple ahve to call the police and say that I have suspicious stuff/people at my home and thats it. They GSU would decend, kill my pets, which by the way, is part my family. They shoot the dogs like if they are pieces of $#!% or a practice target. THey fail to understand that the dogs are part of the family. The GSU would then proceed to beat my up, destroy my property, steal my money or other belongings. Crap. I hope no one out there hates me.
    The police have to remember. You are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law.

33. Palindrome says:

No one should be above the law and if a search was needed it should have been done but it should be done properly…..following the right procedures. If proper procedures would have been followed then it would not have needed to be so negative……the civilians are not above the law nor should those enforcing it!!

34. IloveuBelize says:

My people, My people! Why are we so negative? If the police did nothing, they are criticized, if they do, they are still criticized. WTF do you want then? Leave the “white” man to continue his illegal activities? Have you not read the news? He was producing antibiotics illegally. You all missed the POINT. Why should he receive special treatment because he is rich? Maybe he thought his miliion dollar donation in equipment would have given him some protection but I say, the police have all rights to search his property if they suspect illegal activiities. NOONE is above the law. And as to his allegation about the politician….ITS JUST THAT. But the people some of us are will run away with it and make it sound political, We need to break loose from the chain that enslave us and begin to think for ourself. The police did what they needed to do. That man is no better than you or me.

35. not giving a f**k says:

All democratic countries don’t have democracy……….they have a failed democracy……….its not a dictatorship cause they aren’t communist countries……………………….they are simply corrupted people running them……I believe personally if you want to own 1 gun or 100 guns and you can afford to buy that gun or guns being a democratic country you have all the damn right to own them that is what makes a democratic country great the only people who i think that shouldn’t be given any gun license should be ex-convicts cause those are the rights they gave up when they where breaking the law but everybody who can afford them and have a clean police record should go ahead and own one……

36. Belize Tour Guide says:

We Belizeans are a very complex people. I’m Belizean to the bone (born and bred) and even though I have lived here for most of my 36 years I am still trying to figure out my people. I find this case very interesting. On a recent visit to Lamanai, I pointed out the McAfee property to some tourists and one of them asked why he had so much armed guards on his compound. I can usually answer any question asked by tourists on this tour but I wasn’t sure how to answer that one. “Because he can afford to,” was the best answer I could come up with. I can only speculate that perhaps the Police were acting on what they might have considered reliable information. They took a serious PR risk and it backfired on them. This really does not look good for Belize but hopefully we can learn from it. We have so much to learn.

Foreigners thinking about coming here need to do their homework first. This is a good case study for any other rich “white man” thinking about retiring in Belize. First off, you have to understand that we Belizeans have a serious distrust for rich “white men” who try to adopt our country and bed our young women. We want to welcome foreigners rich and poor to Belize but if Belizeans can’t even respect other Belizeans, foreigners who come to Belize should not expect to be treated any better. His first mistake was to flaunt his wealth. You can get away with that in the US and other countries but Belizeans take that as an insult. Like I said, we are a complex people.

37. Martha says:

Belize is a hopeless place where we find high regards being payed towards gangs in Belize City to facilitate their well being for misbehaving in society and militant suppression towards law abiding citizens. The people got the government they deserve.

38. Martha says:

Belize is a hopeless place where we find high regards being payed towards gangs in Belize City by GOB to facilitate their well being for misbehaving in society and militant suppression towards law abiding citizens. The people got the government they deserve.

39. Gone fishing says:

What is the verdict?
    Public relation disaster?
    Incompetence?
    Corruption?
    Sweep it under the rug, hear no more?
    Too difficult to figure out?
    Official inquiry?
    No big deal, move along, don’t ask?

40. Landy Burns says:

he he he. Lol. LMAO.

41. EASY GLENN says:

everyday i see young bwiaa the ride pass with gun everyday and we no have enough Gsu tha town fe search they bwaii now they deh dah bemopan cayo corozal and OW bring to the city all a them an straighten out this mess first com on mein

42. Peace Walker says:

What a shame……this is not an accurate reflection of the people of Belize, but rather, some unprofessional bullies abusing authority……SHAME ON YOU GSU!!!!

43. Charlie Price says:

From the MINISTER OF POLICE ON DOWN NEED TO ISSUE A FORMAL APOLOGY.

I wonder who gave the order for the raid????

44. Belizean without rights says:

Ask yourself where is the true middle class? abroad Why? Many years ago What happen to John Mcafee was common. You could be victimized by your neighbour or rival in business( Coke and Pepsie. Now the BDF and Police was directed by politicians and thugs who wanted to victimize the foreigner and local belizeans. After Independence the country changed to a republic. You have no rights to demonstrate or strike. The thugs are sent to keep the well oil machine working, curfew is a way of life. In belize you are guilty until proven innocent “you better Belize it”

45. Belizeunite says:

OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT BEFORE THERE’S NO BELIZE!

46. snap says:

The rich or Americans don’t think that they’re above the law or that they have more rights than the local people in the countries where they live or visit, like Belize. They just might be under a mistaken impression that they came to a civilized, democratic country where the rule of law is respected while they plopped right into the middle of a savage authoritarian banana republic where incompetent fools rule and the police is above the law and can screw whomever they want without any consequences.

47. dawn sandoval says:

WOW in military terms what a FUBAR mission, the issue here is not who he is or how rich he is or what nationality. The question here is what happened to proper police investigations and humane treatment of any suspects, that produces respect for the law enforcement.
    This disregard for Basic Human Rights and common sense that should be applied to everyone in Belize, which has caused the spread of crime like a virus, coupled with uncontrolled political corruption to an unsupportive level within the country, and to foreign investors, which are now avoiding Belize, this F*** up makes Standard & Poor’s or Moody’s down rating’s look insignificant; the question is now can we recover from an epidemic of stupidity, and arrogance?
    What are they thinking we’re going to lose in international court then it becomes Guatemala’s problem?

48. Orlando Ayala says:

Now who in their right mind will ever want to go and retire in Belize. If you recall this man had already mentioned he was doing some type of research. He was not hiding nothing from no one. Now what they should have done is search everyone of this dam gangs member homes for guns and illegal activities instead of messing around with good contributing members of the country.

49. ny says:

@ confusion, roska, the doc and fureal, you people are totally missing the point, this guy is a ligitimate invester; based on the story, the gsu are clearly trying to cover there a**es. Out of all the firearms that were found on the property, only one didn’t have the proper documents, give me a break, the gsu knew they had nothing on this guy, so what they did was manufacture this weapon not being licensed so as to justify the search. I would sue who gave the orders for this search for every penny, so as to send a message to the gsu that not even them are above the law. A man of his stature needs all the protection that he can get, here in the states they have the second amendment in the constitution that allows one the right to bear arms.

50. jamie says:

You know what they say: you can take the monkey out of the jungle, but you can’t take the jungle out of the monkey. To think that a person could leave the U.S. for a third world country and not expect this to happen is quite naive.