Belize - Belize News - - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous, People & Places » The right documents and knowledge for Mexico travel
Apr 5, 2012

The right documents and knowledge for Mexico travel

Marcelino Miranda

Now that you have every safety tip for every possible occasion that may occur in Belize, one embassy also has a few words of advice for those who intend to hop over the northern border. Mexican destinations such as Cancun and Merida are popular Easter vacation spots for both Belizeans and visiting tourists. The Embassy of Mexico will be closed during the Easter.  However, the press officer Marcelino Miranda explains how border passes and passports are to be used especially if you intend to travel outside of Quintana Roo.


Marcelino Miranda, Press Officer, Embassy of Mexico

“When Belizeans want to travel to Mexico there are two ways. One of them is to travel with their passports and these Belizean passports entitle them to travel anywhere in Mexico. Another way to travel to Mexico is using the border card that is called FMVL. It is important to remember that these cards allow them to travel within Quintana Roo up to three days. With these FMVL cards you cannot stay in Mexico more than three consecutive days, you cannot travel to other parts of Mexico you can only travel within Quintana Roo and it is also important to know that you cannot travel intransit to another country using your FMVL. If you go to Cancun for example and you are planning to travel to another country, you have to take your passports and it is important that you register that at the border with your Belizean passport when you are traveling intransit. You need the passport definitely when you are traveling to Playa del Carmen, to Cancun or any part of Mexico, if you are not using your FMVL, you need your passport. That is something that you need in order to travel to Mexico. And for all Belizeans, it si important to remember that with your Belizean passports, you don’t need Mexican visas to travel anywhere in Mexico.”


Jose Sanchez

“And are you limited to the three days?”


Marcelino Miranda

“With your passport normally, the immigration officers give you one hundred and eighty days to stay in Mexico. But it is up to the immigration officer to provide or to state the number of days that you are allowed to stay in Mexico. But with your Belizean passport normally as I said you can travel several days within Mexico.”


The embassy will be closed from the sixth of April and re-opens until the ninth, therefore, the issuing of visas and passports will be suspended during those days. Miranda says while passports allow you to travel as far as Cancun, if you intend to drive beyond that destination, you will need to register your vehicle at the border with a redeemable deposit.

Be Sociable, Share!

Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply