Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Education, Featured, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Math Olympiad suspended
Dec 14, 2011

Math Olympiad suspended

There is a report tonight that is not good news for high school students. It involves the future of the highly anticipated Belize Math Olympiad (BMO) in which the brightest high school students look forward to test their math skills and endurance in the highly competitive contest. For months, the Belize Association of Principals of Secondary Schools (BAPSS) has been going back and forth with the Social Security Board (S.S.B.), which sponsors the BMO over new rules of engagement. S.S.B., earlier this year, set out a new criteria to take effect in 2012 which essentially allows for students to participate only once in the junior level (first or second form) and once in the senior level (third or fourth form). BAPSS resisted the criteria on the grounds that students in first and third forms sit as alternates and do not compete. S.S.B. retained its stance, but agreed to implement the new criteria in 2013. BAPSS, however, stood its ground on the basis that schools put a lot of time and effort in preparing the students and that the new rules were tantamount to preventing an athlete in taking part twice in a competition. In a letter dated December fifth, BAPSS wrote to the BMO saying “It appears that the S.S.B. is now saying that it will be dropped for this year only, but that the S.S.B. has decided to implement it in 2013. To us this means that the new rule has not been dropped—it has only been delayed. Our position, as voiced by many principals at said meeting, will not change for next year.” Today, the response came from the BMO. It states that “SSB has therefore decided to suspend the BMO for 2012, while we re-evaluate the situation and consider what other options are available, or whether the funds allocated for the BMO need to be re-deployed in another forum through other organizations that will guarantee its continued relevance and effectiveness.” According to the S.S.B., the new criteria would broaden the actual participant base and is not about whether or not funds are available. So there you have it, the BMO, which was launched in 2006 and started in 2007, has been suspended for 2012 and its future hangs in the balance. The Math Olympiad costs in the range of a hundred and fifty thousand dollars that is drawn from the Social Security Development Account that is put aside every year from the yearly workers and employers contributions. This year’s competition was won by St. John’s College.  The team members include Einar Marin, Yun-Te Teng, Aaron Stock and Romel Rudon who compiled four thousand, three hundred and ninety-nine points, won SJC’s second championship in a row.


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

5 Responses for “Math Olympiad suspended”

  1. Emerildez Montenegro says:

    Another reason why kids go to the streets to sell and do drugs !!!
    All bs !!! Think , think !!!

  2. CEO says:

    MUST WE ALWAYS FIND A WAY TO KILL ANYTHING IN BELIZE THAT IS GOOD? NOW WHY THE HECK THE SSB HAVE TO PUT ITS TWO SENSE IN THIS ONE? I THINK THE EDUCATORS CAN DO A BETTER JOB!

    SO IF A SUDENT IS GOOD HE SHOULD NOT COMPETE TO RAISE THE BAR AND FORCE OTHERS TO COME UP TO HIS/HER LEVEL. HE/SHE WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE COMPETITION, IS THIS TO DUMB DOWN THE COMPETITION? HE/SHE SHOULD BE LEFT THERE SO THE OTHERS HAVE A FORCE TO RECON WITH IF THEY WANT TO WIN.

    WE MUST ALWAYS FIND A WAY TO MESS THINGS UP! HEY WHY NOT JUST FIND ANOTHER SPONSOR AND SAY HECK WITH THE SSB?

  3. islander says:

    This is a way in which they tell the brightest kids….you know what you did great this year but sit back and stop studying cause we will not give you a second chance to show how smart you are…

    Seems like MATHEMATICS COMMUNISM.

  4. Future says:

    Why can’t both side take a step backward. Instead of suspend the competition this year where all students are prepared and anticipated, make a rule giving a student at least two times to participate either the alternative or the participant. This way, even if a student play as a participant this year and loss the game, he/she may still have another change of being a participant next year. Social Security Board, please think wisely and consider all college students who are eager about this event and NOT let it go like this.

  5. Concerned says:

    Schools do a lot to prepare students academically and holistically regardless whether they are competing or not. If the student emerges as the top candidate after in school elimination in categories of speed and accuracy in math, why should anyone tell them they cannot compete? Not all schools are large either, some schools have a very small pool of students, what happens in that case? The reason for any competition is to win fairly, why enter if you know you are not sending your best candidate or athlete? SSB should have consulted before unilaterally setting forth a rule without due regard to the educators who teach math to our children. Without the students their could never be a SSB BMO.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*