Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Sports, Trials » F.F.B. ordered to withdraw claim against ministry
Jun 27, 2011

F.F.B. ordered to withdraw claim against ministry

Rodwell Williams

Last week, Belize joined countries such as Iraq and Ethiopia to be banned by FIFA. And that is where the Football Federation of Belize led by its president Dr. Bertie Chimilio remains tonight after it filed for an injunction in the Supreme Court against the Government of Belize.  The move came after a letter was sent by Minister of Sports John Saldivar to FIFA’s Deputy General Markus Kattner informing that security would not be provided at a game between Montserrat’s national team and Belize on June seventeenth that would have been a World Cup pre-qualifier.  F.F.B. was subsequently banned from participating in any international football activities until it is able to resolve the matter.  Chimilio, through Senior Counsel Elson Kaseke, took the matter to court and today Justice Minnet Hafiz ordered that the F.F.B. withdraw its claim against the ministry.  Kaseke says he’s optimistic that both parties will arrive at a solution to the impasse before the July tenth deadline.  News Five spoke with attorney Rodwell Williams following the hearing.

Rodwell Williams, Attorney for Ministry of Sports

“The court ordered the F.F.B. to withdraw its claim and the claim is withdrawn.  The F.F.B. then withdrew their claim and undertook to file a new claim.  We have been made a technical objection to the initial claim that they filed discovering that they would not likely be able to overcome that objection they withdrew their claim and the court ordered that they should withdraw it and if they wish to come again to come again.  At the end of that F.F.B. then produced to me, in court, what purports to be their 2010 statute despite the fact that there is a sworn affidavit by Dr. Bertie Chimilio filed in the claim that was withdrawn stating that they have no amendment to their 2006 statute and that their statute was simply 2006 statute.  It turned out that they produced one for 2010.  The matter then went into chambers and I can tell you that I undertook to the court to deliver the document which purports to be the 2010 statute for the F.F.B. to the director of the National Sports Council and I have since done that and indicated to the Sports Council so that they are to then seek to consider the statutes and to inform me as to the result of the deliberation were they to have deliberated hopefully by the thirtieth of June and I will then convey or communicate to the court the National Sports Councils, the results of their deliberations. The Sports Council’s job under [Section] 19-1 of the statute is to consider the statutes and to determine whether or not they are to approve the statutes.  So they hopefully will undergo that exercise.”

Elson Kaseke, Attorney for FFB

Elson Kaseke

“We might be in the process of moving out of court because there are certain representations which I am not at liberty to disclose because of the court order which I think would remove the course of action.  The parties are willing to sort it through [and] within the next few days the issue should be resolved. The F.F.B. has always been pro-game.  We want, everyone wants, the game to be played.  I think you want the game to be played too.  So it’s to the benefit of everyone and I think the parties are strongly committed to doing that exactly.”

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

4 Responses for “F.F.B. ordered to withdraw claim against ministry”

  1. ??? says:

    does anyone understand what da hell rodwell williams is saying???

  2. observer says:

    Im curious to know how much is the Ministry of Sports paying Mr Williams. To me, this whole thing is just a way of filling their own people’s pockets…its a legal way to fill up PM’s law partner pocket, of which PM gets his cut.

  3. EQUITY says:

    Barrow and Williams spanking palatial new office building is named EQUITY, now that is like a slap in the face to most of us. which one of you can afford Barrow or Williams to defend you in court. they are gouging themselves at the public expense. EQUITY/ I cringe when I see sick people begging for financial assistance on national TV. MR Williams had 6 doctors was flown to US the next day, where is the equity. I really think they should change that name. Its comparable to building a mosque at ground zero!!!

  4. football addict says:

    funny what people will say dont see what mr willams and doctors has to do with foot ball so he represented one case an then that supplied the money for his doctor bills as if he wasnt working or doing anything else as for the pm the country should be glad he is taking a stance for us where as we havebeen deprived of so much if chimilio hadn t deprive us of so much we would have far better football in belize than we have now maybe by now we would have been able to pay players and the youths would not be killing each other and be playing ball instead come on people i am not political just let see what good can come out of the game

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*