Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Featured, Miscellaneous, People & Places » Bus Association President alleges Transport Ministry dividing members
Jun 1, 2011

Bus Association President alleges Transport Ministry dividing members

Aside from the squatters who took the Belcan Bridge by storm this morning, the government still has the festering transport issue on its hands. The administration gave a portion of bus runs to longtime U.D.P. supporter Sergio Chuc to the dismay of the bus operators who have been conducting runs on the Western Highway for years. Thomas Shaw, the President of the Belizean Bus Association, says that so far, only five runs have been taken away from Chuc’s West Line, which was awarded the majority runs in the west.  When News Five spoke to Shaw this evening, he said the Ministry of Transport has been cherry picking individual bus owners in order to divide and conquer the association.

Via Phone: Thomas Shaw, President, Belize Bus Association

Thomas Shaw

“Some of my operators called me and told me that they wouldn’t be attending that meeting because what is taking up north is a dictatorship. You have two persons up there, I don’t know if they are appointed by deputy because I notice the deputy is very close to them. They are trying to make schedules and tell the operators what they are going to do. And I think that is totally wrong. You have a transport board and a commissioner and I think they are the ones responsible for the issuing of permits; not Mister Roger Tun or Mister Cruz. And in a meeting prior to Monday, the way I saw it, these guys trying to control the northenos and say which operator they are going to bring in and who is going to do what. The B.B.A. is quite strong and we have the support of the nation and we are effective and they are trying to separate us. As for the West, they are trying to conquer and divide. Yesterday we had a situation that actually came up with Guerra’s Bus Line and up to 7:30 last night, they had Mister Guerra in captivity because there is no way they were at the NEMO building. Up to 7:30 last night they were in that building trying to convince Mister Guerra of I don’t know what and in the end Mister Guerra end up giving in. And I can’t see us going forward like this because Mr. Guerra he was with us all along. Up to 12:30 when I broke the news yesterday, he wasn’t even aware of what was actually taking place. When he end up in Belmopan, they gave him a letter stating that his permit was withdrawn and he was losing a couple runs to the west. So we actually got on top of that. They called in someone into a meeting in Belmopan and up to 7:30 last night they actually had him in a meeting. And I don’t know what compromise they come upon but I just called Mister Guerra and he said well Mister Shaw I gave up something and I had to run and that’s where we stand. But I didn’t get all the details because I had to attend a meeting in Belize City today. But basically, the west is up and running—not exactly what they wanted, but the west is up and running at this moment.”

Shaw says a meeting occurred today with northern bus providers but he did not attend. So he is asking his members to attend an assembly next week Tuesday, ten a.m., at the Belize City Center. Tonight, as the crisis persists, commuters can hold comfort that buses continue to run.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

4 Responses for “Bus Association President alleges Transport Ministry dividing members”

  1. rod says:

    this is just another case of this udp gov. giving jobs only to the people who do their bidding no worry barrow you should a grow wa mustashe because you just like hitler and getting worse by the day you are the worse pm in the history of belize this is why belize is turning into a failed state worse than haiti.

  2. Hakeem Taylor says:

    Guys in the bus aasociation you all are fighting a losing battle both sides on one side the government who is the transport board are trying a divide and conquer tactic promising runs to certain sector whilst trying to get the other sector to gain ground- the other side is they’re promising their die hard supporters like guerra and chuc promises to let them make the association looks bad – guys read between the lines dean barrow is a slick attorney open your eyes

  3. sassy says:

    BBOC don’t give up. They are using the other bus companies against you. Just watch and see what willhappen to them their tun is comming. This GOV does not care about anyone but them self. To the other bus companies this GOV is using you all just to make sure Westline stays in, they don’t care about you, they are getting waht they want at your espense. Thing and open up your eyes.

  4. Brian says:

    Mr. Guerra’s buses are more comfortable that those old buses that sergio chuc brought in ! no where to put your luggage ! i think the west line should be removed immediately of the Road ! but everything is crystal ! you get your runs through politics you lose it through politics

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*