Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Miscellaneous » Primary school student injured in incident at Michael Finnegan’s market
Apr 20, 2011

Primary school student injured in incident at Michael Finnegan’s market

A primary school student, out on Easter vacation, is this evening lucky to have escaped serious injury after a wrought-iron gate fell on him at the Michael Finnegan Market.  A little after four o’clock security personnel stationed at the newly built facility, along with his parents, rushed the injured child to the K.H.M.H.  According to market coordinator Michael Theus, the boy was apparently hanging on to a metal gate which encloses the garbage dump at the market when it came loose at its base and fell on top of him.

Michael Theus

Michael Theus, Administrator, Michael Finnegan Market

“Yes, I can confirm that a child, yes, received some injuries unfortunately but the child was actually riding one of the gates that was actually used to secure our garbage location.  The garbage location was left open while one of our employees was out collecting garbage from each one of the stalls and was actually in the process of just sliding up and down and the gate just slipped off its track and fell on the child.  That child, yes, is currently at the hospital receiving some attention and we’re looking forward to a speedy recovery.  I don’t think it’s anything major besides some minor cuts and bruises or something.”

Isani Cayetano

“It’s the Easter holiday [and] I was made to understand that some of the vendors have their children out here and to some extent it poses sort of a problem in terms of supervision and what have you.  As one of the administrators for the Michael Finnegan Market can you speak to us on some of the measures that will now be put in place in the wake of what took place today?”

Michael Theus

“I cannot say that measures will be put in place, measures have been put in place already.  [On] numerous occasions we have actually spoken to the stall holders informing them of their children [and] having them running loose in the market.  Yes it’s the Easter break right now and some of those children they are within the market just wandering around and getting themselves in problems.  We will again reiterate the point to them that we do not want those children within the market right now if they, as adults, cannot do some adequate supervision of those children.  Our staff is here to deal with the actual administration of the market and we’re not here as babysitters but we need to actually make sure that the stallholders they do their part in assisting.  Unfortunately an accident like this occurs when they do not, I mean, assist in looking after their children.  Yes we want to make that little money or something but if you’ll bring your children out here you have a responsibility.”

The child is expected to be released shortly from the hospital meanwhile parents and stall owners are encouraged to keep a watchful eye on their children when conducting business inside the market.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

7 Responses for “Primary school student injured in incident at Michael Finnegan’s market”

  1. Earl Grey says:

    WHY IS IS CALLED …………………..Michael Finnegan’s market????????????

    WHY NOT JUST –THE QUEENS SQUARE MARKET????? or POUND YARD MARKET????????

    DID FINNEGAN PAY FOR THE MARKET??????
    WHAT DID FINNEGAN DO TO GET HIS NAME ON THE MARKET???? …….Just asking…….

  2. daveyt says:

    Sue the Council!!!!!! If this had happened in the US, the kid would have been worth MILLIONS $$$$$$$!!!!

    I know of a child from Calvary Temple School who stepped into a hole in the pavement, breaking a leg & an arm! SUE THE COUNCIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. MyLegacyB4MyPeople says:

    Theus that is a very poor excuse and shows no sign of responsibility after all this is a child and as such will always find an opportunity to do what children does, the fact remains that this metal gate which is apparently used as a part of an enclosure for a garbage bin should never be constructed in such a manner whereby it would give out under the weight of a child hanging from it, you need to own up to the fact that this is poor and shoddy construction or workmanship and take it as a blessing that this little boy has exposed this weakness at his expense, talking about no measures needs to be taken a person with such arrogance should not be allowed to serve the people of Belize, I hope that the city council is at least going to pay this child’s medical bill, my advice to his parents is to retain a good lawyer that will force the city council to take responsibility for their negligence. Remember, My Legacy B 4 My People.

  4. CEO says:

    So why wasn’t the gare secured so this would not happen? Sounds like neglegence to me especially because this is an area where people frequent, and there is much foot traffic.

  5. BZNinCALI says:

    We know which child won’t be riding that gate again….

  6. Disgusted! says:

    SUE ZENAIDA AND THE CITY COUNCIL! I DESPISE THAT THIEVING !#$(# !!!

  7. my 2cents says:

    If they sue, they shouldn’t get jack $#!%. The negligence fall on the parents for not looking after their bad @$$ kid and this is not America, so you need to quit that BS. You all always looking for the wrong person to blame. That is why the country is the way it is, because no one wants to take responsibility for their own damn actions.I bet he will learn his lesson next time to not be climbing places where he have no business climbing.Like old folk use to say, ears hard pikney goh dah market two time, well this little brat ,this might be his first trip and I hope he’s not stupid enough to make a second one.You people defend some of the dumbest things. you need to go get a damn life and stop encourage nonsense.

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*