Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime, Featured » Over 21 shells picked up after 2 persons shot on Wagner’s Lane
Feb 17, 2011

Over 21 shells picked up after 2 persons shot on Wagner’s Lane

Belize City police are tonight seeking two male suspects whom they believe carried out a daring late evening shooting on Wednesday.  While there were no fatalities twenty-six year old Derrick Clarke and fifty-six year old Rose Arnold were both struck a number of times as they stood on Wagner’s Lane.  The gunmen, police say, drove up on South Street where they alighted the vehicle at the corner of Wagner’s Lane and then let loose a hail of bullets hitting Clarke in the left side of the abdomen, right leg, and left arm.  Arnold, whom it is believed was not the intended target, was also hit in the left leg.  As many as twenty-one expended shells were later picked up by CIB personnel from the area also known as Jump Street.

Sgt. Fitzroy Yearwood, Police Press Officer (File: February 16, 2011)

“What I can tell you so far is that we had a barrage of bullets. We are not certain how many armed men, but we know that Derrick Clarke was injured and Rose Arnold. Presently they are at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital receiving treatment and police are looking for two suspects. Yes we have a vehicle that we believed was used—a van with Corozal license plate and we are following up on that.”

Isani Cayetano

Fitzroy Yearwood

“What was the approximate time this shooting took place?”

Fitzroy Yearwood

“A little before five, I would say around 4:54, thereabout.”

Isani Cayetano

“What can you tell us about the victim, Derrick Clarke, is he someone who has had any previous encounter with the law? Is he someone who was an innocent bystander or was he the target in this shooting?”

Fitzroy Yearwood

“First of all we will have to establish motive to know whether or not any of the victims were the intended target. I know you singled out Mister Clarke but we have two victims here and it would be unfair for us to answer such a question. But what I can tell you is that both persons were injured noh.”

Isani Cayetano

“Any word from the hospital authorities as to whether these injuries were life-threatening or anything of that sort?”

Fitzroy Yearwood

“Well all I can say is that they are receiving treatment.”

Both Clarke and Arnold were admitted to ward in stable condition.  Wednesday’s shooting was the second attempt on Clarke’s life.  It is believed that he is wanted dead by several of his rivals.  In June of 2009 Clarke filed a police report claiming that his life was under threat.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

5 Responses for “Over 21 shells picked up after 2 persons shot on Wagner’s Lane”

  1. BZNinCALI says:

    Can we take a look back at the surnames of several of the people who have fallen victims or were arrested recently for using a fire arm in this area & ask ourselves if maybe these fools are now targeting the families, regardless of age. Rose did you give birth to the psycho who recently threatened his girlfriend, tried to set a man on fire & shoot him when he tried to run?

  2. Jose says:

    seems that gun control in Belize is only for the decent people. Criminals have easy access to guns and ammunition and that is when the country becomes a war zone like Mexico.

  3. MyLegacyB4myPeople says:

    That’s right this is how we want things around here shoot, shoot, shoot we can stop it but we won’t, this is how we run things in this city, so be afraid people be very afraid just like this, (http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/35880). What we don’t want is any one getting any clever ideas and try any peaceful demonstrations so we don’t give permits for those we deny them as much as possible silly people to think that we cannot stop these petty @$$ thugs from running these streets we have the resources to make them very afraid that they don’t even want to go to sleep after all tugs have to sleep also but they are our tools to keep this silly population under control, we know who the tugs are and we know where they live but why should we stop them they are our tools to help us in our wealth building legacy scheme. Remember, My Legacy B 4 My People.

  4. Sorry says:

    This is what the Min of Police should do. Set up a program to pick up all those youths is Belize city and put them to work hard ,clean the streets drains. U all know where they live search there homes. Keep them on a short string. These youths are killing for money. So pay them for there work. al those rich ministers and others broke the account and help others. Afterall, this world is comming to an end and your mony will rot. There will come a time wen rich ,man will cry because the money will not worth anymore. So think of it. Think of something wise to do. Don’t we have smart people in GOB

  5. Inglebert says:

    This place is out of order it is the ministers selling guns to the little shattas

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*