Belize - Belize News - Channel5Belize.com - Great Belize Productions - Belize Breaking News
Home » Crime » Common-law wife of accused child molester wants children back
Jul 30, 1999

Common-law wife of accused child molester wants children back

Story Picture
Earlier this week the common-law wife of former S.J.C. teacher Carlos Milan, accused of molesting her seven-year-old daughter, filed an affidavit with the Magistrate’s Court to drop all charges. Today relatives say the woman attempted to remove the girl and her brother from their grandmother’s home, where they have been staying since the May 4th incident. Family members told News Five the mother arrived with a suitcase and announced that she wanted her children and their clothing since she is relocating to Belmopan. She was accompanied by a police officer. According to our sources, the grandmother told her daughter that because the matter is still before the courts, the kids could not be moved and that there is a court order denying Milan access to the child. The police officer was informed by telephone from officers of the Human Development Department that because the charges have not been withdrawn, and since the mother is reported to be living with the accused, the children should not be removed from their grandmother’s care. The mother told News Five that she had only gone there to visit the children. However late this evening News Five was faxed a copy of a letter to the grandmother from Dons Waite, the mother’s attorney dated, July 29th. Waite states and I quote “…your daughter intends to visit your home on the thirtieth of the seventh month, ninety nine to remove her two children and she would appreciate your cooperation in this matter… I have advised your daughter if you refuse to give her the children, you can be charged for kidnapping.” But for the time being the children will remain with their grandmother because this afternoon, the Human Development Department was granted an Interim Care Order giving her sole custody of the children from July thirtieth to August thirtieth. At that time, all parties will have to make an appearance in Family Court to discuss permanent custody. On May 20th Carlos Milan was charged with the attempted rape and indecent assault of a minor. He was granted bail under the condition that he has no contact with the young child. He is to reappear in court on October 5th.

Be Sociable, Share!


Viewers please note: This Internet newscast is a verbatim transcript of our evening television newscast. Where speakers use Kriol, we attempt to faithfully reproduce the quotes using a standard spelling system.

Advertise Here

Leave a Reply

CAPTCHA Image
*